Probe related to Kansas coach

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Kansas has launched an internal investigation related to a personnel matter within coach Mark Mangino's football program, the university confirmed Tuesday.

A source briefed on the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad that one particular incident allegedly involved Mangino yelling at and making contact with a player earlier this season.

During his weekly meeting with reporters on Tuesday, Mangino declined to discuss specifics but said he had apparently lost the confidence of some people. He did not name them.

"I haven't lost the team one bit," Mangino said, according to the Lawrence Journal World. "I may have lost some people around here, but it's not players. Take that for what it's worth, you decipher it."

Athletics director Lew Perkins met with the entire football team Monday night. Mangino, the national coach of the year two seasons ago, was not present.

According to one source, some players have threatened to transfer from the program because of what they perceive to be having spoken to in an inappropriate manner.

Kansas senior quarterback Todd Reesing said the meeting was between Perkins only and the players.

"Lew said an unbiased person, who will have no opinions either way, will conduct the investigation," Reesing said, according to the Lawrence newspaper. "I think Lew's doing what he has to do in the position he's in."

Several players and the parents of some players have had meetings with Perkins about the situation, two sources briefed on the situation told Schad.

The Jayhawks take a five-game losing streak into Saturday's game at No. 2 Texas.

Back