Pre-Combine Mock 2/18

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
To piggy back on Mike's thread, here's my own Pre-Combine Mock. Have at it. :)

1. Detroit - QB Matt Stafford*, Georgia
- The Lions have tons of holes, so the pick could be just about anyone. If there is a franchise QB in this draft, it's Stafford, and I don't think Detroit can pass on him.
2. St. Louis - OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- The Rams, like the Lions, have a lot of holes. Curry is probably the safest pick in the draft and the Rams need a playmaker and a big, strong force in the middle on defense.
3. Kansas City - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
- With the recent announcement KC is going to a 3-4 defense, Raji would seem to be the no-brainer pick here. He's the best (by far), true NT in this draft. The Chiefs don't have many guys who fit the 3-4, but Raji would be a nice building block for the defense.
4. Seattle - WR Michael Crabtree*, Texas Tech
- Seattle was down to its 5th- and 6th-string WRs at one point last season. Crabtree is the most talented player in this draft and he would be awfully hard to pass up if he's there at No. 4 for the Hawks.
5. Cleveland - CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- The Browns would love for Curry to fall, but if he doesn't, Jenkins would be the logical pick. He's the best defensive back in the draft and the Browns definitely need help in the secondary.
6. Cincinnati - OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
- While Monroe would be a serious option here, Smith fills a need on the right side of the line. He's probably the best run-blocker in the draft, and Cincy definitely needs a guy to open up lanes for whomever the Bengals have in the backfield.
7. Oakland - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Perhaps the best OT in the draft, the Raiders would be ecstatic if Monroe falls here. They need help on the O-Line big time.
8. Jacksonville - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- The Jags were a disaster last year, and it all started up front. Jason Smith might have the most potential of any OT in the draft and the Jags would gladly take him and plug him into LT.
9. Green Bay - DE/OLB Everette Brown*, Florida St.
- The Packers are changing to a 3-4 defense, and Brown might be the best pass-rusher in the draft. I recently heard he weighed 225 lbs., so 3-4 OLB might be in his future.
10. San Francisco - DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- If Brown is the best pass-rusher, Orakpo is second. I think he could be equally good as a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. The Niners, with Singletary at the helm, will easily pass on Mark Sanchez for Orakpo.
11. Buffalo - DE Michael Johnson*, Georgia Tech
- Johnson might have the most potential of any DE in the draft (think a young Julius Peppers), but he doesn't always seem to be there on every play. If he realizes his potential, he'll be a steal at No. 11 for the Bills.
12. Denver - MLB Rey Maualuga, USC
- Maualuga is a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense, which it seems everyone is switching to these days. The Broncos had an atrocious defense last year and they are thin at LB. If Maualuga improves his instincts, he'll be dominant.
13. Washington - OT Eben Britton*, Arizona
- Chris Samuels is getting up there in age and it's obvious the Skins need help at OT. Britton is flying up the draft boards and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he makes it into the top 10 on draft day.
14. New Orleans - CB Vonte Davis, Illinois
- The Saints need a CB. They've needed a CB for 2-3 years. This year, they will get their man in Davis, who is just a couple notches under Jenkins.
15. Houston - WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri
- The Texans need help at DE, but there aren't any DEs left worthy of this pick. Instead, the Texans take the most explosive receiver in the draft to lin up opposite of Andre Johnson. And the kid can return kicks.
16. San Diego - DE/OLB Aaron Maybin*, Penn St.
- With the franchising of Sproles, RB is not as much of a need as it once was. So, the Chargers go with the BPA, which also fills a need for them.
17. N.Y. Jets - QB Mark Sanchez*, USC
- Favre's gone, Clemens is untested and Ratliff is already overrated. The Jets cannot pass up on Sanchez, if he falls this far.
18. Chicago - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Once thought of to be a top 5 lock, Oher falls to all the way to 18, where Chicago would welcome him with open arms.
19. Tampa Bay - DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
- The Bucs need help on the interior defensive line, and Jerry is the second-best option. As usual, they could use help on offense, but that can wait until the following rounds.
20. Detroit (from DAL) - CB D.J. Moore*, Vanderbilt
- Moore has tons of potential and the Lions just cut Leigh Bodden. It seems like a match made in heaven.
21. Philadelphia - RB Chris Wells*, Ohio St.
- Ahh, the first RB comes off the board. The Eagles need someone to complement Brian Westbrook, and Wells has the talent to be that guy.
22. Minnesota - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
- With no worthy tackle available and the unknown that is Josh Freeman, the Vikings go with the safer pick that fills a need with Smith.
23. New England - OLB Brian Cushing, USC
- Cushing just seems like a Pats guy. He's gritty and versatile, which is the MO of the Pats' defense. They need to get younger at LB, and there's no better way to do it than via the draft.
24. Atlanta - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
- Matt Ryan would greatly benefit from a big target who can get down the middle of the field. Pettigrew is the best TE available, despite the character concerns.
25. Miami - WR Hakeem Nicks*, North Carolina
- Nicks had a great performance in UNC's bowl game, which brought attention to his abilities. He's a big receiver who isn't going to get behind many DBs, but he's solid and just what the Dolphins need.
26. Baltimore - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco could benefit from another pass-catcher. This time, though, it's a talented WR with loads of potential. Heyward-Bey could end up being the best of this bunch.
27. Indianapolis - DT Sen'Derrick Marks*, Auburn
- The Colts desperately need help at DT. While the two best guys are already gone, the Colts are in a position where they can address a need by taking a guy who isn't necessarily rated as a first-round pick.
28. Philadelphia (from CAR) - OT William Beatty, Connecticut
- As is the Andy Reid way, the Eagles go with a big guy on the lines. Tra Thomas is getting up there in age and Jon Runyan just had surgery. They need to get a quality OT in this draft, as it's obvious Winston Justice is a bust.
29. N.Y. Giants - MLB James Laurinaitis, Ohio St.
- I heard rumors that Antonio Pierce could be cut. Even if they don't, the Giants need an infusion at LB. Laurinaitis has tons of talent and would be a nice grab at the end of the first.
30. Tennessee - WR Percy Harvin, Florida
- I know WR isn't the way Tennesse goes in the first-round (ever, it seems), but they need a guy who can stretch the field. Harvin is that guy. Not to mention he's versatile. Harvin, Johnson and Scaife is a nice combo of playmakers on offense.
31. Arizona - RB Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
- The Cards need a RB. They shouldn't have passed on Adrian Peterson in 2007 and were poised to take Jonathan Stewart if he fell to them last year (although, Rodgers-Cromartie isn't exactly chopped liver). Moreno has tons of talent and would seemingly fit right in with the Cards' offense.
32. Pittsburgh - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- The Super Bowl champs have the luxury of going with the BPA. Jackson, while being the BPA, also fills a need on the D-Line for the Steelers. He is the best 3-4 DE prospect in this draft.

Nice work, especially not botching the Bucs pick like I did. :LOL:

I think Seattle can afford to wait on a Wide Receiver. But it wouldn't be surprising to see that.

You appear to be much higher on Michael Johnson than I am. I'm leaving him in the 2nd round boom or bust pile for now.

Almost had Harvin taken 4 times in the mid to late 20's, but always found a need or team want that prevailed otherwise.

The Marks pick by Indy fits as well, unless they feel comfortable waiting and taking USC's Moala later on. Then they can go BPA for their D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Wells over Moreno? Not bashing, just wondering. :salut:
For Philadelphia, they need a guy who is capable of running between the tackles. At 6'1 237, he's certainly capable. I know he has injury/durability concerns, but I think he'd be a better inside runner than Moreno. Moreno is quite the talent, though.

Running back, while an important position, is usually a position that isn't over-drafted. Guys tend to slip, despite their talents.

You appear to be much higher on Michael Johnson than I am. I'm leaving him in the 2nd round boom or bust pile for now.
Definitely boom or bust. Probably the biggest BoB (hey, that's kinda cute, lol) prospect in the draft.

The Marks pick by Indy fits as well, unless they feel comfortable waiting and taking USC's Moala later on. Then they can go BPA for their D.
Definitely. They could take the BPA, regardless of position, if they want (save for QB, of course).

I hope Cushing doesn't go to the Patsy's.....I was watching video from the Senior Bowl Practices and he had a Jags helmet on....I wasn't aware that players were allowed to do that.

I think the Bears, having just drafted Chris Williams with a first round pick, and having St. Clair exceed expectations last year, won't be going OT with that pick.

I'd be fine with the Titans picking Harvin. It would be a bit of a surprise though, since like you said, when do the Titans ever pick a WR early :doh:

Andre Smith would work perfectly where Willie Anderson. I am sure he will become a regular at Montgomery Inn and put down some King Sized Slabs of ribs

I think the Bears, having just drafted Chris Williams with a first round pick, and having St. Clair exceed expectations last year, won't be going OT with that pick.
Last mock I had a Bears fan said the team needed O-Line. This mock, it's the opposite. I don't know what to do. :doh:

However, John St. Clair is garbage. And John Tait appears to be retiring. A Williams-Oher combiniation at tackle would be quite the duo for many years to come. Hell, Oher probably won't fall that far anyway.

Last mock I had a Bears fan said the team needed O-Line. This mock, it's the opposite. I don't know what to do. :doh:

However, John St. Clair is garbage. And John Tait appears to be retiring. A Williams-Oher combiniation at tackle would be quite the duo for many years to come. Hell, Oher probably won't fall that far anyway.

It's the Bears. You give them a run-stopping Defensive Linemen and don't look back. :)

Why Wells over Moreno? Not bashing, just wondering. :salut:
After my answer earlier, this just came out:

"Georgia RB Knowshon Moreno weighed in at 217 pounds at the Combine Friday."

If he can stay at that weight and still be effective, the potential for this kid is limitless.

After my answer earlier, this just came out:

"Georgia RB Knowshon Moreno weighed in at 217 pounds at the Combine Friday."

If he can stay at that weight and still be effective, the potential for this kid is limitless.
Now he just needs a decent 40 time and he is a lock to not fall to number 19. :( He is crazy good.

His only knocks were size, top end speed and that he showboats too much (which I disagree). Sometimes passion comes off as showboating.

Now he just needs a decent 40 time and he is a lock to not fall to number 19. :( He is crazy good.

Looking at it, how many teams in the top 15 have serious RB needs? I doubt more than a couple. Pretty sure he's there at #19 unless he runs a 4.19 40 time and a 3 second shuttle. It's all about the shuttle time with RB's. :)

Back