Basketball Pistons sources: Upset Richard Hamilton has become a distraction

tigsfan

Bench Warmer
Pistons sources: Upset Richard Hamilton has become a distraction | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Just to hit some main points here...

Guard Richard Hamilton, a mainstay during the Pistons' run of six consecutive conference finals appearances, is upset with his role on the team and has become a distraction, team sources said.

Hamilton's non-participation in Saturday's practice, along with his upset stomach that caused him to miss Sunday's game and complaints about his diminished role have led some in the organization to wonder if Hamilton has quit on the Pistons.

"He quit on us," one team source said. Another team source said Hamilton is acting out of emotion and should adjust.

Hamilton's been on the trading block for two years, and he would like a change of scenery.

And, on Sunday, just before a game against the New Orleans Hornets, Hamilton, who was replaced in the starting lineup over the weekend by Ben Gordon, told the team he had an upset stomach and could not play. After the game, a number of people associated with the team questioned his "upset stomach."

Team president Joe Dumars has said he is having trouble making deals because the team is for sale, but if Hamilton doesn't take coming off the bench well, the situation could become untenable. With the recent trades around the league, it shows the market is opening up.

"If I need to have a long talk with him, I will," Dumars said Monday on WDFN. "I'll see how Rip is doing tomorrow when he gets in here. Rip's been good for me."

Hamilton has had an inconsistent season, his worst since coming to Detroit in 2002. He has three years remaining on his contract at $12.6 million per season.

Hamilton is averaging 26.4 minutes and 13.6 points, but at times has appeared disinterested on the court.

He also has been ejected three times for technical fouls.

The Pistons thought Hamilton could be the bridge between the contending teams of the last decade and the next era, but those carefully laid plans seem to have gone up in smoke.

Hamilton's emotions have fluctuated since playmaker Chauncey Billups was traded, and he's been more unpredictable this season.

While Hamilton, 32, has shown some flashes, he's more likely to get ejected early than to score 20 points in a game. As seamless as his transition was when he was traded from Washington to Detroit nine years ago, he has had trouble dealing with the Pistons' present transition.

Hamilton balked at coming off the bench in 2009, and insisted on starting immediately last season when returning from injury, rather than allowing himself to be gradually eased back into the rotation.

Gordon, his replacement on Sunday, responded with one of his strongest showings since becoming a Piston. His 3-pointer sent the game into overtime, and he looked like the player the Pistons thought they were getting when they signed him as a free agent last season.

Afterward, words like "professionalism", "energy" and "effort" were used by players.

While no one criticized Hamilton, it was clear the team had a different vibe after Friday's embarrassing loss to the Clippers.

"It's amazing what you can do when you compete," Kuester said. "Sometimes you can't wait for people's motors to get going."

Kuester has given Hamilton numerous opportunities this season, but it hasn't translated into production. Hamilton is shooting a career-low 41 percent.

Would anybody trade for this guy? Nuggets fans, would a Hamilton/Billups reunion be a sufficient replacement for your team if Melo gets traded this year?

If you look at last night, Hamilton scored 35 off the bench: a rarity this year. We would gladly give a protected Draft Pick or something along with him (COUGH Rodney "overrated" Stuckey COUGH).

meloman315 said:
anthony carter and kmart for rip and stuckey?
It sounds so crazy that it might just work. Better yet, I just did this for fun.

A 3-team trade between Pistons-Nuggets-Knicks

Knicks: +1 W's
Carmelo Anthony 2/17.1 + extension he will sign
Charlie Villanueva 3/7.0
Chris Wilcox 1/3.0
Terrico White 2/475K

Pistons: -14 W's
Kenyon Martin 1/16.5
Danilo Gallinari 2/3.3
Anthony Carter 1/850K
Ronny Turiaf 1/4.0
Roger Mason 1/1.4

Nuggets: +3 W's
Richard Hamilton 3/12.5
Eddy Curry 1/11.2
Wilson Chandler 1/2.1
Rodney Stuckey 1/2.7

This would never happen, but it sounds great to me.:p Your Nuggets get a half decent SG/SF for a few years, salary relief in Curry's expiring deal, and then either sign the other two to extensions (I know Stuckey is restricted next year, I think Chandler is to?) or let them go.

The Pistons would get a lot of cap relief, for either Joe D. to screw up again or a new GM (nobody is pointing fingers at Joe yet, but they should be). I personally like Gallinari, and he could replace Prince or be a decent PF w/ Monroe/Wallace next year. If the salary space is used correctly, it could help us make a big run in 2011/2012.

Sorry Knicks, but you got screwed in this deal. I took all of their cap space for the summer, and gave them Anthony/CV in its place. White is kind of a G filler until they can improve, and Wilcox will be a FA to give you something to look forward to. Chances are a DP might go your way.

no chance in hell unless we get like 5 1st round picks lol. we want to retool, not rebuild unless we get a hell of a deal to trade away melo, billups, kmart for a bunch of young talent and picks

Back