Obviously Fake Patch...But is it an Altered Card?

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
So, many years ago I spotted a 1/1 Joe Montana patch card online and knew instantly it could not have been game worn. The cloth on the card does not match the jersey style worn during Montana's career. Montana played for the 49ers from 1972-92 and 49ers jerseys didn't have gold trim on the numbers until 1996...so this jersey couldn't have been worn by Montana in a game.

The card is from a 2005 Playoff set. This is back when patches were at the peak of their popularity and people were faking them. So, my question is this...do you think the people at Playoff inserted the wrong jersey into this card...or do you think someone ruined a 1/1 card to make it more desirable to sell? I have always wondered about this card and I saved a picture of it for that reason.

This card was seen on eBay many years ago...I'm guessing I saved this photo in 2008 or so.

I would dare say... someone ruined a 1/1 to make it look for desirable.

I have seen many 1/1 patches and this is the first one that had four colors with stitching. Most of the time it's a two color patch that shows just a hint of the second color. NOT an expert, just voicing my opinion on what I have seen.

My gut has always told me that someone put a different patch in this card. I know the card companies are known to make mistakes with GU stuff...but this seems like a pretty high profile card for that big of an error. Plus, this was right at the height of when people were altering GU cards. It's a shame.

Hopefully it's not the centerpiece of somebody's collection.

Back