Basketball NO MORE TOPPS & UPPER DECK??????? - Only Panini

Hands said:
I guess NBA wants a more global appeal?

Panini is an international company so the NBA got what they want.

I have quite a few Jordan Panini stickers from the 90s and one of them is a favourite part of my PC :D

I just hope that Panini knows what the collectors want ;)

They are a BIG company, bigger than UD so it is not all gloom and doom ;)

I agree with you cause Panini is well none all other the world,much more than UD and Topps.Actually there's only 1 shop with official license from UD and Topps in Europe (in Germany) when you can find Panini's products in all countries so its better for us:cool:
Plus i'm on many trading forums in USA,Europe and Australia and many collectors are bored about hobby since few years because of many reasons like no creativity,more and more parallels each years and cost of boxes is higher each years for lower value
I hope Panini will bring a new kinds of products and give a new start to the hobby all other the world:happyclap:

Here's a part of interview posted at another site :

SITE: What can collectors expect from your high end products? In the past
products like UD exquisite has drawn much praise from the international
basketball card market, and has been regarded as the best product in
basketball cards over the years. Will Panini produce similar game used
patch as we have seen on the market in the past 7 or so years?

LG: We plan on offering a variety of products from high-end cards to products
for the mass retailers. We intend to offer game-worn patch cards, autograph
cards and other special cards.

SITE: Does Topps/UD retain their exclusive contracts with their players (Shaq,
Kobe, Lebron, MJ, KG etc...)? If so, how successful can a product be
without autos and jerseys of all of these players?

LG: Panini cards will still include these elements. We are working with Topps
and Upper Deck on the specifics related to their exclusive player deals.

SITE: Will the autographs be signed directly on the card, or will you use sticker
based autographs?

LG: We expect to use a combination of directly signed card, as well as sticker
autographs.

SITE: What is your stance on redemption cards?

LG: We do not plans to have redemptions in a product, but sometimes due to
player scheduling it is unfortunately unavoidable when trying to procure
autographs.

SITE: Will you use your current company name to market products in the US, or
will you switch to a more US friendly marketing strategy?

LG: Panini will open a U.S. subsidiary in the U.S. Panini is a well-respected
global company and we’re confident that the considerable marketing and
promotional support they are planning to put behind NBA trading cards will
give us the opportunity to cultivate a new generation of fans. Panini has a
proven track record of opening and growing new markets throughout Europe
and Latin America and will apply its successful international growth
strategies in the U.S. to help us grow our domestic trading card business.

yeah, especially , if panini cannot land the auto's of jordan , lebron, kobe , beause i would imagine if upper deck does release a draft/college product, they would have to airbrush the jerseys of jordan,lebron,kobe and then noone would want them and everyone would return to trying to get the "vintage" ones from the last few years. i wonder if panini will produce the cards here in the u.s.a. or will they produce them in italy, then ship them here. i hope its here and they create some jobs.

First of all, i LOVE collecting cards...

However, i think this deal is CRAP! Look what happened to Madden football since they got exclusive rights...they have not come up with any groundbreaking/exciting new features since they pushed out the competition. I am seriously worried if this is what collecting is coming to where companies just shell out tons of money to people who really dont care about cards except how it can make the company lots of money (like the NBA right now)

I can honestly say...if i dont think Panini comes up with good products, then i will just not buy, period. I will then be exclusively a football product opener, which would be sad for me, but something i would do if Panini is not up to snuff.

Honestly though...the NBA just gave exclusive rights to a company named after a type of bread...YIKES!!

I could see UD doing products like Legends.... The NBA doesn't own the rights to all the players that retired from it. But I could also see someone filing a lawsuit because of the anti-competitive nature of this deal. The NBA is exempt from monopoly rules, however I don't believe Panini has those same rights and UD does have the right to file a lawsuit for any reason. I doubt they win, but maybe an injunction to stop it.

The NBA and all of its strict regulations into whom can and cannot do business with the NBA licsense is hurting them. They restrict the use of players, teams and logos and yet in the same breath want to expand their portfolio to a global level?

The only one at fault here is the NBA. Nothing like shutting down companies that market the NBA while being paid for lending your name!!

Back