Basketball NO MORE TOPPS & UPPER DECK??????? - Only Panini

bhelser

Bench Warmer
This could be very interesting..........

NBA NAMES PANINI EXCLUSIVE TRADING CARD PARTNER

NEW YORK, Jan. 27, 2009 – The National Basketball Association (NBA) today announced a new exclusive, multiyear licensing agreement with The Panini Group – the leading global publisher of collectibles. The new partnership will focus on redefining the domestic NBA trading card category by enhancing the relationship with existing NBA card enthusiasts, cultivating a new generation of collectors, supporting hobby shops and retailers, and by creating new product growth opportunities worldwide.

As the NBA's exclusive trading card and sticker partner, Panini will produce NBA trading cards, stickers and sticker albums beginning with the 2009-10 NBA season. Together with the NBA, Panini will provide significant retail marketing and promotional support including TV, print and on-line initiatives and in-store events for both hobby shops and retailers.

"Over the years, NBA trading cards have served as an important source to connect fans of all ages with our game," said Sal LaRocca, Executive Vice President, NBA Global Merchandising Group. "As we look to the future of our trading card business, there is general consensus, including with our current partners, Topps and Upper Deck, that moving forward with an exclusive partner is the best way for us to energize the category on a worldwide basis. We are fortunate to have had three outstanding companies interested in our trading card business and believe Panini's position as the leading global company in this industry aligns best with our global growth strategy."

LaRocca continued, "Our exclusive partnership with Panini provides us with the best opportunity to recreate the trading card market by developing the key retail channels with a variety of products and promotions geared towards all consumer segments."

Panini will leverage the strength of the NBA as a global sports league to develop the international trading card business and establish and build a sports collectibles business in the U.S. Currently, Panini has a successful North American collectibles business with consumer brands such as Disney's Hannah Montana and High School Musical, and Warner Bros.' Harry Potter, as well as with the UEFA Euro 2008 and FIFA World Cup sporting events. Internationally, Panini's leadership in the sticker category will provide additional growth opportunities for the NBA.

"As the leading global sports league, the NBA provides Panini with an international platform to expand the global trading card and collectibles markets by building our business in the U.S. and attracting new collectors around the world," said Peter Warsop, Panini Group Licensing Director.

About the NBA
The NBA reaches fans and consumers worldwide through the licensing and marketing of consumer products bearing the league's trademarks and player attributes. More than 200 licensees manufacture, sell and market NBA-branded products that are promoted worldwide and sold in more than 100,000 retail locations, in 100 countries on six continents. Major categories include video games, apparel, footwear, sporting goods and trading cards. Thirty percent of merchandise sales are generated from outside the United States.

About Panini S.p.A.
The Panini Group, established almost 50 years ago in Modena, Italy with subsidiaries throughout Europe and Latin America, is the world leader in the published collectable sector and the leading multi-national publisher of comics, children's magazines and manga in Europe and Latin America. In 2008, the Panini Group is expected to have sales of c 1 Billion US$. The company has distribution channels in more than 100 countries and employs a staff of over 700.
nba.paniniamerica.net

You beat me to the post haha. This is shocking. I guess we will see a bunch of Upper Deck Jordan autos of him in a solid red jersey. I have to think Topps and UD are beyond ****** right now. Topps works a lot with the NBA on events and promotions. This has to be an April Fool's joke come early.

actually, i spoke with a friend of mine who is a huge wholesaler and he told me that upper deck was losing alot of money on thier basketball products this year, and that this panini deal was imminent. also there is a rumor that topps is trying to place a bid to be the exclusive mlb trading card company, which would then leave upper deck with football and hockey. the industry doubts that topps will come up with the $$$ to get the deal done. Also it looks like the 3 main card companies will now only product enough product to cover thier pre-sells, so no more over producing of products, which means there will be alot less of things floating around, in which case the whole supply and demand theory comes into play and products may sky rocket because of the demand. My only question about the whole pannini deal is what about jordan,lebron,kobe who are upper deck exclusive? those product will **** without a chance to hit 1 of those 3.

ac-n-mike said:
I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY that Topps and UpperDeck are going to STOP making basketball products

I highly doubt that this will work.... Topps and UpperDeck would probably have the right to fight this.

It could be great for values after the economy turns around, if there is indeed a lot less product (hits) produced. That is if the economy stays poor for 2-5 years.

How can they fight it? It is no different than UD signing Lebron and Jordan to exclusive deals. They can still produce cards, but no NBA logos or trademarks. It will be like the Score Board basketball cards.

f301_1.JPG

I guess NBA wants a more global appeal?

Panini is an international company so the NBA got what they want.

I have quite a few Jordan Panini stickers from the 90s and one of them is a favourite part of my PC :D

I just hope that Panini knows what the collectors want ;)

They are a BIG company, bigger than UD so it is not all gloom and doom ;)

Back