Baseball NL All-Star Analysis

intelliracer

Bench Warmer
Catcher - Russell Martin (LAD) - Martin is definitely the best catcher in the National League. He leads all NL catchers in batting, home runs, and RBI. However, the backup selection is wrong. Brian McCann over Bengie Molina? Foolish. McCann and his .261 average, 7 homers, and 41 RBI somehow got selected over Molina's .289, 8, and 44.

1B - Prince Fielder (MIL) - Hooray for no Albert Pujols at first this season. Sure Pujols is hitting 25 points better than Fielder, but Fielder has far better power numbers and is carrying his team this year. Even the reserves for the NL are scary. Derrek Lee, Pujols, and Dmitri Young.

2B - Chase Utley (PHI) - The three best second basemen in the NL this season all made the All-Star team. Utley is the leader (.326, 16, 66), Orlando Hudson is second (.302, 7, 46), and Freddy Sanchez is third (.301, 1, 28).

3B - David Wright (NYM) - I have to imagine a little bit of this selection is because of the New York factor. Let us compare Wright to his back up Miguel Cabrera. Wright is hitting .288 with 14 homers and 44 RBI. Cabrera, on the other hand, is hitting .329 with 17 homers and 57 RBI. Anyone else see a problem here? I would put Chipper Jones or Aramis Ramirez in before Wright this season.

SS - Jose Reyes (NYM) - Again, a little New York magic helped this guy get in at a starting spot. Not only does Edgar Renteria have better power numbers, he is also hitting almost 10 points better than Reyes. But, at the same time, Reyes' 40 stolen bases is nothing to overlook either. J.J Hardy is the backup which is a mistake. That spot should undoubtedly go to Renteria.

OF - Carlos Beltran(NYM) - Have I mentioned something about New York magic yet? The guy is hitting .274! And that is all it takes to start in the All-Star Game anymore?? A critical error on the fans part has Alfonso Soriano or Matt Holliday sitting the bench to start the game.

OF - Barry Bonds (SF) - Speaking of magic, this guy is only in because the game is in San Francisco and because MLB wants him there. He has numbers good enough to be a reserve, but tell me that Soriano or Holliday don't stack up to Bonds this year. And where is that Eric Brynes guy anyway?

OF - Ken Griffey Jr. (CIN) - Jr. is having a great comeback season so even though I don't think he deserves to start, it is great to see this guy get the nod again.

National League picthers:

Jake Peavy (SD) - 9-2 with a 2.90 ERA. I'll tell you what. Tony LaRussa has a tough decision when deciding who is going to get the start between Peavy and Brad Penny.

Brad Penny (LAD) - 10-1 with a 2.00 ERA. This guy's number compare well with Peavy except that peavy has many more strikeouts.

Cole Hamels (PHI) - 9-4 with a 3.87 ERA. Let youth be served. Hamels strikes out at batter at better than one and inning and has only 29 walks all season.

John Smoltz (ATL) - 9-4 with a 2.98 ERA. Strikes out a batter about once an inning and has only 21 walks (or one every 5 innings).

Ben Sheets (MIL) - 10-3 with a 3.19 ERA. A consistent starter who will be an All-Star for many years.

Trevor Hoffman (SD) - 23 saves with a 2.03 ERA. The legendary closer is keeping his stuff sharp as he approaches the 40-year old mark. has allowed just 7 earned runs and 6 walks this year.

Takashi Saito (LAD) - 22 saves with a 1.34 ERA. The Japanese import has allowed just five runs and three walks all season while striking out 42 batters in 33.2 innings.

Francisco Cordero (MIL) - 27 saves with a 2.91 ERA. The guy leads the NL in saves and has struck out 47 in 34 innings.

Jose Valverde (ARI) - 26 saves with a 2.70 ERA. Valverde is a little known guy around baseball, but he is dominant at the closer spot. He strikes out a batter over once per inning and is second in saves in the NL.

Billy Wagner (NYM) - 16 saves with a 1.73 ERA. Old Billy is still throwing it hard and getting it done. His 49 strikeouts lead all regular NL closers.

Brian Fuentes (COL) - If this guy played anywhere but Colorado, he would never be here.

J.J. Hardy is argued as the leader of the Brewers, who just so happen to be the best team in the NL. I would have had him on this team easily.

tigsfan said:
J.J. Hardy is argued as the leader of the Brewers, who just so happen to be the best team in the NL. I would have had him on this team easily.

This is true, but look at the his numbers stack up against Renteria. Besides, the Brewers already has three other players on the team. I just think that Renteria's stats are too much better than Hardy's.

I liked your AL analysis better.....seems you were a bit rough on the NL LOL

unfortunatly there are ALWAYS going to be snubs....because "we" pick the starters...I think it should be based ONLY on stats...not the "I'M more popular high school prom queen vote" LOL

I laughed at ESPN they said BONDS didnt deserve the votes because he was having a "subpar" season...

batting .304---16 home runs, a ML leading 84 walks, ML leading OBP and OPS, 2nd in NL slugging, ML leading BB

this guy is AWFUL....put a fork in him......yea ...

i agree toatally no one form the mets should be starting this year cabrerra should be starting at 3rd hardy at short stop and soriano in the outfield just my opinion

chris

OK people:

J.J. Hardy
.284, 18 HR, 51 RBI, .343 OBP, 0 SB,

Edgar Renteria:
.324, 10 HR, 41 RBI, .386 OBP, 7 SB

Now who's having the better year again?

why is ryan braun not even on the team?

ryan braun:

AB HR AVG RBI R SB
133 7 .346 25 30 6

david wright:

AB HR AVG RBI R SB
299 14 .288 44 46 17

les than half the at bats which may be why he didnt make the team not enough at bats

chris

ac-n-mike said:
I liked your AL analysis better.....seems you were a bit rough on the NL LOL

unfortunatly there are ALWAYS going to be snubs....because "we" pick the starters...I think it should be based ONLY on stats...not the "I'M more popular high school prom queen vote" LOL

I laughed at ESPN they said BONDS didnt deserve the votes because he was having a "subpar" season...

batting .304---16 home runs, a ML leading 84 walks, ML leading OBP and OPS, 2nd in NL slugging, ML leading BB

this guy is AWFUL....put a fork in him......yea ...

Don't mean to be rough on them, it was just so much worse than the AL

anyone think Hunter Pence should have been on for Houston instead of Carlos Lee? or are Lees "power #'s" the reason he is on.... PENCE is killing it in Houston...but I think he iwll have MANY more chances in the future this kid is a beast! (and yes I know Houston sux and they were LUCKY to get an All-Star spot ) LOL!

BA: .340
AB 238
RUNS 32
HITS 81
RBI 36
2B 21
3B 5
HR 8
SB 7

NOT TOO SHABBY

Hardy easily should be the backup, hes already got double his HR output last year, and is on the best team in the NL, hes having a great season and should be there.

323 10 41 490 something SLG for renteria

284 18 51 515 SLG for Hardy

so you can go both ways, But Ill take Hardy

Johan Santana #57 said:
Hardy easily should be the backup, hes already got double his HR output last year, and is on the best team in the NL, hes having a great season and should be there.

323 10 41 490 something SLG for renteria

284 18 51 515 SLG for Hardy

so you can go both ways, But Ill take Hardy

True Johan, but go to page 1 and see my stat comparison of the two.

Back