My Solution to Georgia's Problems...

redandpewter55

Bench Warmer
This the current coaching staff on the defensive side of the ball...

• Rodney Garner: Assistant Head Coach / Recruiting Coordinator / Defensive Line
  • John Jancek: Defensive Co-coordinator / Linebackers
  • Willie Martinez: Defensive Coordinator / Secondary
  • Jon Fabris: Defensive Ends

Willie Martinez and John Jancek have got to go and will be going as soon as the season is over. There are a few candidates for Defensive Coordinator and there is only one candidate for linebackers.

Defensive Coordinator:

Tommy Tuberville
Long shot, I know. But him and Coach Richt are long time friends and CTT has been in Athens a lot over the last few weeks. Nobody really knows what is going on, but rumors are swirling. I don't see this happening, but it would be nice.

Kirby Smart
Kirby Smart is currently the defensive coordinator at Alabama. He is a UGA alum and former UGA coach. Not sure why Kirby Smart would leave Alabama, but more money and more control might convince him, but then again, Bama has just about as much money has Georgia. Everyone knows Saban runs the Alabama defense. Smart has also been with Saban for a very long time.

Kevin Steele
Kevin Steele is currently the defensive coordinator at Clemson. This is his first year there after leaving Alabama to get out from under Saban's control. South Carolina is Steele's home state, so that will make it more difficult to lure him in. Georgia has the money to pull him away from Clemson if they choose to do so. Going to Georgia would get him back in the SEC.

Dick Bumpas
Dick Bumpas is the current defensive coordinator at TCU. Georgia can offer more money and a chance to prove himself in the SEC. Would he take it? I think so.

Linebacker:

Travis Jones
Travis Jones is a former UGA alum and coached at UGA before going to coach under Nick Saban after stops at Kansas and App State. He is currently an assistant defensive line coach for the Saints. I'm not sure what he makes with the Saints, but Georgia needs to bring him back home.

- If Rodney Garner feels slighted by being passed up for the DC position again and decides to leave, you bring in Travis Jones to coach the defensive line and bring in someone else to coach the linebackers.

- If Jon Fabris goes for some reason, you let the defensive line coach coach the entire defensive line and Georgia will bring in a full time Special Teams coach.

If it was up to me, Kirby Smart and Travis Jones would be coming home to Athens.

I have read that Smart and Richt don't have a good relationship. Don't know the reasoning behind it, but I can not see him going to Georgia if Richt is still there. It's clear that UGA needs a change on defense, but I also think the team is playing soft from what I've seen. Gotta do something with the S&C program.

I think UGA is dangerously close to slipping out of the top of the SEC. Right now, Alabama/LSU/UF/UGA are the top. I'm still far from sold on the vols staff, but they are recruiting lights out and could really challenge UGA for a spot in the top third of the conference.

Richt has no excuse for losing 3 games last year with that talent. No excuse for having a team perform so poorly in his, what, 7th year or so.....

Richt = Mark Gottfried (former Alabama basketball coach for those who don't know).... came to the school hungry, succeeded, but for whatever reason slipped off slowly despite some good recruiting. The teams eventually became soft. And that could be UGA's undoing.

Really hope UGA gets it turned around :pray: , UGA is far and away Alabama's biggest ally in the SEC.

My suggestion for UGA: clean house now, go after Gary Patterson. Bring a new mindset into the program. Bring someone who plays smash mouth, tough as nails football.

This is not saying Richt is a bad coach, not saying he hasn't done some very good things at UGA, but as an outsider, I think UGA and Richt would be better off parting ways.

Mark Richt will not be fired. You can give that up now.

The issues between Mark Richt and Kirby Smart have been resolved FWIW. I don't know exactly what they were, but they are no longer an issue from what I've been told. Kirby Smart currently makes $325,000 with a buyout of $65,000. Georga could easily top that.

Mark Richt will not be fired. You can give that up now.

The issues between Mark Richt and Kirby Smart have been resolved FWIW. I don't know exactly what they were, but they are no longer an issue from what I've been told. Kirby Smart currently makes $325,000 with a buyout of $65,000. Georga could easily top that.

I know the odds of him being fired are virtually zero, but as far as UGA's long-term future goes, I don't know if Richt is the guy to bring a NC ring to Athens :salut:

I hope yall don't end up getting Smart. Of course, he may want to go back to UGA and I wouldn't blame him at all for that. UGA is the only DC job I can see him leaving for. I think he will be a head coach somewhere before long :salut:

Steele is getting good money for a DC. Plus being from Dillon, SC helps. Dabo lets him run the defense his way so I don't see him going anywhere.

Clemson has more money too. We are by no means broke.

UGA's football program is one of the very top football programs in the country as far as bringing in profit, top 5 I believe. They can easily justify throwing another couple hundred thousand at a DC they really wanted. I have never once seen Clemson on a list of most profitable college football programs...... so by using this, I am assuming UGA has more money to spend on assistants.

Back