Mike Vick

Meh. It's dumb but I'm not freaking out about it

Its usually supposed to go to someone who does a lot of charity work or battled back from adversity IE Buckhalter coming back from multiple knees exploding to be a contributor.

I guess its either there wasn't a real good candidate.... or the players basically giving the press and all a big middle finger. I'd bet on the latter..

it just shows a lack of class by the players to do something like this. I have nothing against him getting a second chance but it is just down right stupid for the players to do something like this and the ownership not care enough to put a stop to it. I have always hated the Eagles (no offense intended to you or their other fans) but I did not think they were dumb enough to do something like this.

Honestly, we dont know what kind of man Vick is now. We just know what the media tells us, and the majority of news is bad news. Only the players and those close to Vick know him, and maybe he did become a better person. So I think its stupid to just fall into the media trap.

Honestly, we dont know what kind of man Vick is now. We just know what the media tells us, and the majority of news is bad news. Only the players and those close to Vick know him, and maybe he did become a better person. So I think its stupid to just fall into the media trap.

well said :clap:

I know what kind of man it takes to do what he did, and that's good enough for me, regardless of what anyone in the media says. I would think that those involved with the Ed Block foundation are embarassed, especially where one criterion is that the player is a community role model.

No idea what Vick has done this yr on his own. IF he did some good things great. But if this was just to make him look better to fans then thats bad .

I for one am not "falling into a media trap". this award is for people who have overcome adversity or have gone above and beyond their call of duty in charity or with their community. This award is for players who are great role models and have set the bar higher for themselves and those around them not for people who have just got out of prison and have been good boys for a couple of months in a row. He has done nothing to show any real remorse for what he has done and he certainly has not shown anyone why he should be used as an example of honor in the NFL.

I for one am not "falling into a media trap". this award is for people who have overcome adversity or have gone above and beyond their call of duty in charity or with their community. This award is for players who are great role models and have set the bar higher for themselves and those around them not for people who have just got out of prison and have been good boys for a couple of months in a row. He has done nothing to show any real remorse for what he has done and he certainly has not shown anyone why he should be used as an example of honor in the NFL.

This is a quote. The award is given to a player "who in the eyes of his fellow teammates, is the source of inspiration and courage." Who's to say Vick doesnt inspire his teammates? Are you on the Eagles? Im not sticking up for what he did, but we dont know the whole story. Its stupid to jump to conclusions on a team voted award without actually being on the team itself.

Correction. Here is the EXACT criteria for the award.

Player who exemplify commitments to the principles of sportsmanship and courage
Selected for team effort, as well as individual performance
Symbolizes Professionalism, great strength and dedication
Community Role Model
Becomes an ambassador of courage for victims of abuse, violence and neglect.

Now, obviously he wasnt all of this in the past, but who better to mentor people towards the right patch than someone who has been on it before and is walking it right now? Thats why a lot of drug users who spent time in jail become councilors, because they have been there before. They can give their own advice from experience. How can you coach football when all you have heard is stories about it? You can do all the studying you want, but nothing is the same as living it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a quote. The award is given to a player "who in the eyes of his fellow teammates, is the source of inspiration and courage." Who's to say Vick doesnt inspire his teammates? Are you on the Eagles? Im not sticking up for what he did, but we dont know the whole story. Its stupid to jump to conclusions on a team voted award without actually being on the team itself.

Correction. Here is the EXACT criteria for the award.

Player who exemplify commitments to the principles of sportsmanship and courage
Selected for team effort, as well as individual performance
Symbolizes Professionalism, great strength and dedication
Community Role Model

Now, obviously he wasnt all of this in the past, but who better to mentor people towards the right patch than someone who has been on it before and is walking it right now? Thats why a lot of drug users who spent time in jail become councilors, because they have been there before. They can give their own advice from experience. How can you coach football when all you have heard is stories about it? You can do all the studying you want, but nothing is the same as living it.

He has not even been out of prison for a full season yet so he has had no time to prove to anyone that he is a changed man or to inspire anyone in any shape or form. It is a complete joke that anyone would even consider voting him for this so soon after his reinstatement. I think he would need to be an true inspiration for 2-3 season before he should even be thought of about for a award like this. Right now the only thing he is doing is showing these spoiled ass millionaires that they can do whatever they want and still be rich later. To me the entire Eagles organization are a bunch of spinless cowards for even letting something like this happen.

He has not even been out of prison for a full season yet so he has had no time to prove to anyone that he is a changed man or to inspire anyone in any shape or form. It is a complete joke that anyone would even consider voting him for this so soon after his reinstatement. I think he would need to be an true inspiration for 2-3 season before he should even be thought of about for a award like this. Right now the only thing he is doing is showing these spoiled ass millionaires that they can do whatever they want and still be rich later. To me the entire Eagles organization are a bunch of spinless cowards for even letting something like this happen.

Since when was there a time limit on when you can redeem yourself? Im christian, so we believe that we are forgiven of our sins if we ask the lord for it. Why cant we be so forgiving? I could see if he killed someone and we were family of the deceased, then it would be harder to forgive. But even then families often forgive those killers. And how do you know he doesnt inspire anyone? Are you in the Eagles locker room on Sundays watching him? He might rally up the team for all we know, and that is very inspiring to the teammates whom voted for him. It all comes down to the team. They know him just as well as his family probably. We know him for fighting dogs and what the media tells us, which I said in a previous post, is bad news most of the time. I ask you to put yourself in his shoes. You spent 18 months in jail, you are doing community service, you donated a millions dollars to the humane society, and have pledged to do at least 2 community based events per month for the humane society. You have apologized over and over again, and you are doing everything you can to prove you have changed. How would you feel after receiving such an award? It shouldnt make you feel like you deserved it, however it probably feels pretty damn good to show what you are doing is making some sort of difference. Its a change of pace from people like you continually knocking him down when he is taking all the right steps. So how again is he doing nothing to prove he has changed?

Seriously??

And your correlation to former drug users doesn't hold any water. Former drug users, as former victims of their addiction, often counsel current drug users on how to overcome their addiction. Unless you're saying that Mike Vick is counseling current dog abusers on how to overcome their situation (and from his experience that would mean getting caught by the feds, locked up and forced to file bankruptcy), then it might be the same. But I fail to see just who he would be counseling based upon his experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously??

And your correlation to former drug users doesn't hold any water. Former drug users, as former victims of their addiction, often counsel current drug users on how to overcome their addiction. Unless you're saying that Mike Vick is counseling current dog abusers on how to overcome their situation (and from his experience that would mean getting caught by the feds, locked up and forced to file bankruptcy), then it might be the same. But I fail to see just who he would be counseling based upon his experiences.

Honestly Brian, I expect you to be a little smarter than that. Luckily you highlighted the parts you needed to.

There are such things as....
Animal ABUSE
Animal NEGLECT
And overall, VIOLENCE

So said winner would be an ambassador against it. Now, as you continue reading, I pointed out that he donated a million dollars to the humane society, and has pledged at least 2 community based events per month for them. Im sure some of it entails speaking against the capitalized letters above. Now, who better to do it than someone who lived it? How you fail to see my point blows my mind. When did former drug addicts counsel only those who are trying to overcome addictions themselves? I had programs at school for DARE and other assemblies where a former user talked against it. DARE was in 3rd grade when most of us probably only knew about cigarettes, much less crack or marijuana. A lot of times its more so a forewarning. "If you do ______, _______ can happen to you. Look at me."

With that explained, the point of my posts is that we dont know who Vick is right now. Do you? No. All we know is what the media tells us and what he did in the past. So why knock him down for what he did in the past when he has served time for it, and is taking all the necessary steps towards overcoming it and becoming a better man?

So bravery = going from complete trash to decent human being these days :lollol:

And didn't Vick lose all his money and sign a small contract? I haven't exactly retained the details of his finanical freefall, but know it's bad......so where'd he come up with the money to donate?

And how much of his community service is court ordered?

The criterion is ambassador of courage for victims of abuse, violence and neglect. Unless he's an ambassador of courage for abused dogs, your correlation still holds no water.

Back