Basketball Jordan: ?No Way? I?d Have Recruited Bird, Magic

bjtheman1

Bench Warmer
Jordan: ‘No Way’ I’d Have Recruited Bird, Magic

Michael Jordan on Sunday confirmed what a lot of pundits and players have suspected: He’d never combine forces with his rivals to form a super team, the way LeBron James(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) have joined Dwyane Wade(notes) in Miami.

"There’s no way, with hindsight, I would’ve ever called up Larry (Bird), called up Magic (Johnson) and said, ‘Hey, look, let’s get together and play on one team,’" Jordan told NBC Sports after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. "But that’s … things are different. I can’t say that’s a bad thing. It’s an opportunity these kids have today. … In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

Jordan did note that the three played together on the Dream Team at the 1992 Summer Olympics, but said that wasn’t a competitive situation.

Jordan, as owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, one of the teams in Miami’s division, will get to see the trio up close at least four times next season. …

Another reaction to Miami’s broadside against the Eastern Conference: Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo(notes) reminded The Palm Beach Post that the Celtics, with their Big Three intact, are still around.

"As far as the East, we’re the champs," Rondo said Sunday at, of all things, a charity game co-hosted by Dwyane Wade.

Rondo added that he "wouldn’t compare" the Wade/James/Bosh trio to his guys: Kevin Garnett(notes), Paul Pierce(notes) and Ray Allen(notes). He did say that keeping everyone involved is a balancing act, one that second-year pro Mario Chalmers(notes) likely will be asked to perform in Miami (unless LeBron winds up running the point).

Naturally, Rondo isn’t backing down from the challenge Miami presents.

"I do look forward to playing against them," he said.

Here's the reported completed roster, and that is without Penny.

Chalmers
Wade
LeBron
Bosh
Big Z

Haslem
Miller
Anthony
Jones
Pittman
Arroyo
Maglore

I think Boston could make any game close (ever better with Rasheed if he doesn't retire). The Bulls could give them a run depending on how the roster fills out there too.

MJ, even if he considered the "Super Secret Stars" teams, he would never admit to doing it. I'm wondering if MJ makes it on the inactive list and appears against a few "random games" next year.:p

Of course he wouldnt do it... He had Pippen around at all times. Then filled the team with others such as Harper and Rodman. Who has Lebron had thats even half of what Pippen was?

Jordan's comments dont shock me.. but Charles Barkely is a doofus...

he DID after join the Rockets with Olajuwon and Drexler simply to try and win a championship...

pot... meet kettle...

ac-n-mike said:
Jordan's comments dont shock me.. but Charles Barkely is a doofus...

he DID after join the Rockets with Olajuwon and Drexler simply to try and win a championship...

pot... meet kettle...

WAs going to mention this... but its not worth it. Malone, Payton, Barkley and many others have joined a team chasing a ring. Hell Malone even went to the hated Lakers for his chance.

Back