Basketball Jackson seeking trade to contender

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Golden State Warriors forward Stephen Jackson says he has requested a trade and prefers to be dealt to the Cleveland Cavaliers or any of the NBA's three teams in Texas.

Jackson's wishes are rooted in a desire to play for a team that consistently makes the postseason, he says, something the Warriors have done only once in the past 15 seasons.

"At this point, I'm 31 years old. I have four or five years left," Jackson told Dime Magazine on Friday. "I want to be in a situation where I can continually be in the playoffs and get another ring. So that's where my mind is at now."

Jackson, speaking to the magazine in New York during a promotional event for a shoe line, said the status of his demand is pending.

"It's not about a decision I made," he told Dime Magazine. "It's just things are in the air right now. I really can't get too much into it right now."

When prompted with a question from the event's host about the Warriors' playoff chances, Jackson, who was attending the event with former teammate Al Harrington, told the crowd: "I don't think I'll be a Warrior next year. I'm looking to leave."

Jackson has averaged 15.4 points over nine seasons with the New Jersey Nets, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers and the Warriors.

He scored a career-high 20.7 points per game last season after signing a three-year,
$28 million extension with the Warriors in November.

Jackson said he would be open to returning to the Spurs but would also welcome a trade to the Dallas Mavericks or Houston Rockets.

He also mentioned Harrington's New York Knicks.

"I'm just looking to go somewhere where I can go and win a championship," Jackson said.

Wow I tought he liked it in Golden State especially next year when they might be decent but if they lose him that ll open up for time for Curry. I hope he doesnt go to the Cavs tho, hope he somehow gets to the mavs but I dont think the Warriors will trade him to the save conference cuz they ll have to play them more. Interesting tho

GotGibson? said:
Golden State Warriors forward Stephen Jackson says he has requested a trade and prefers to be dealt to the Cleveland Cavaliers or any of the NBA's three teams in Texas.

Jackson's wishes are rooted in a desire to play for a team that consistently makes the postseason, he says, something the Warriors have done only once in the past 15 seasons.

"At this point, I'm 31 years old. I have four or five years left," Jackson told Dime Magazine on Friday. "I want to be in a situation where I can continually be in the playoffs and get another ring. So that's where my mind is at now."

Jackson, speaking to the magazine in New York during a promotional event for a shoe line, said the status of his demand is pending.

"It's not about a decision I made," he told Dime Magazine. "It's just things are in the air right now. I really can't get too much into it right now."

When prompted with a question from the event's host about the Warriors' playoff chances, Jackson, who was attending the event with former teammate Al Harrington, told the crowd: "I don't think I'll be a Warrior next year. I'm looking to leave."

Jackson has averaged 15.4 points over nine seasons with the New Jersey Nets, San Antonio Spurs, Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers and the Warriors.

He scored a career-high 20.7 points per game last season after signing a three-year,
$28 million extension with the Warriors in November.

Jackson said he would be open to returning to the Spurs but would also welcome a trade to the Dallas Mavericks or Houston Rockets.

He also mentioned Harrington's New York Knicks.

"I'm just looking to go somewhere where I can go and win a championship," Jackson said.

I bolded the part where he contradicts himself

There's also talk that the Warriors are looking to trade Monta to the Mavs and have curry run the backcourt for them, interesting times ahead!

GM still considers Jackson key part of Warriors

Whether Stephen Jackson returns to the Golden State Warriors this season is unclear.

As of now, general manager Larry Riley still considers Jackson a key part of the team despite the leading scorer saying he wants to go elsewhere and win.

"Stephen Jackson has been a true professional since arriving here three seasons ago, and our expectations of him have not changed despite his recent comments," Riley said in a statement. "He's been one of our most consistent and productive players during that time. We expect that same display of professionalism as we begin to prepare for training camp and the start of the upcoming regular season."

Jackson, Golden State's leading scorer and emotional swingman, on Friday night told Dime Magazine at an event in New York that he wanted out and had made that known to the Warriors brass. But he signed a three-year contract extension in November and is someone the Warriors consider an integral part of their long-term plans.

"It's not about a decision I made," Jackson told the magazine while with former Warriors teammate Al Harrington at an event sponsored by their shoe company. "It's just things are in the air right now. I really can't get too much into it right now, but I'm just looking to go somewhere where I can go and win a championship."

The team initially had no comment on Jackson's remarks, but Riley said Monday this isn't the first time Jackson has expressed his desire to play for a winning team.

Riley didn't address whether the Warriors would look to trade him, though that could be a tough task considering Jackson is 31, fiery and has a reputation for questionable behavior.

Jackson averaged 20.7 points, 5.1 rebounds and 6.5 assists in 59 games last season.

Since Jackson arrived in the Bay Area in a trade with the Indiana Pacers in January 2007, he has been a key piece for coach Don Nelson and a major spark for the Warriors. He helped the team end a 12-year playoff drought that year and reach the postseason's second round.

"As far as his remarks on playing for a championship, that's not the first time we've heard it because that's the goal that he sets for himself and his teammates every season," Riley said. "That's the type of confidence that he exudes as a player and the reason that he has endeared himself to our fans. That's who Stephen Jackson is. ...

"We have always understood his desire to contend with the NBA's best. That's an aspiration that is shared by our entire organization. We will continue in our quest to achieve that goal, and to be aggressive in pursuit of those results."

The Warriors shocked Dallas in the 2007 playoffs, Golden State's lone postseason trip since 1994. The 2008 squad barely missed the postseason despite winning 48 games, the most by a non-playoff NBA team in a quarter-century.

Riley, previously an assistant general manager since last November, was promoted to GM in May when the team cut ties with Chris Mullin, executive vice president of basketball operations.

Back