How do you buy?

Guardian

Bench Warmer
I searched around and didn't find anything, so if this is a duplicate topic I apologize.

As stated in my introduction thread, I am a casual card collector. Have been for some 15 years now. I buy the occasional pack and box, but I never seem to come across the high quality cards you guys all display, trade, and sell in your topics here.

My question is, what is your buying pattern, how do you buy, and what do you buy to get the cards you do? Is it really trial and error of buying packs and occasionally you get lucky?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Speaking for myself here, most all of my best stuff is bought off eBay (except NASCAR, which is a completely different scene from football/baseball/hockey, lol). I do get the occasional gem from sombody who is willing to take back multiple lower end items too, but dont ever count on that, it rarely happens. :)

To get the good stuff from boxes/packs you have to buy hobby exclusive boxes in most cases. Retail is great for base/set/insert collectors but if you dont buy singles on sites or eBay hobby boxes are the way to go. :)

Well this may come as a surprise to you but I have found some amazing cards and even some that were autographed worth a lot of money from thrift stores, flea markets, and sometimes pawn shops. People have loved ones that past away or they just want to get rid of there cards and have them going for dirt cheap.

This is a great question, thanks for asking! I'm a casual collector too, and I just started getting into sports cards recently. I'll pick up a box or even a pack at the local shop near my house about once a week or two (depending on my budget, of course!) but my favorite way to purchase cards is through box breaks online. I get excited about them and it creates a little bit more suspense this way. Plus, I get to chat with other people who are into cards, and it's not too expensive, either.

Well this may come as a surprise to you but I have found some amazing cards and even some that were autographed worth a lot of money from thrift stores, flea markets, and sometimes pawn shops. People have loved ones that past away or they just want to get rid of there cards and have them going for dirt cheap.

That's a great tip actually. I need to remember to check out pawn shops and thrift stores. I also regularly check out yard sales (crapshoot, but occasionally good cards for cheap). I do a lot of the rest of my buying on eBay.

There is a pawn shop down the road from where I live that has a bunch of books of sports cards from the 60's and 70's in great condition. They sell each card for a dime and I am assuming they just want to make a little money on these and it would bring in some customers to come in. While the sports collector is looking their kid could be looking at the other items in the store bringing in more profit. If I just need a few cards I purchase the cards online to finish my set.

I mainly buy singles of ebay. But don't let other's collection make you feel less. Sometimes a lot of luck is required to get the cards, even if its off ebay. I have pulled some decent cards out of boxes and also found some decent cards in flea markets. But my best cards are the ones I got off ebay when the card was still reasonably priced.

When I started out, it was just packs and a Box from time to time, but now after 9 yrs of the hobby, Group Box Breaks seem to have the most impact of my collecting, got some nice Wings hits over the years, and Traders that I use to get the Red Wings I need, but sometimes you run across folks willing to sell for a lower BV, only bought twice from ebay out of 300 transactions from other sites and SCC!

This is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping for. I've just bought off eBay so far, but know some people who have been lucky at either garage sales or on Craigslist. But the chances are pretty low. At least in my area

Back