Basketball Hornets' West an All-Star; voters snub Carmelo

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
New Orleans Hornets forward David West has been selected as a Western Conference reserve for the All-Star Game.

Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, meanwhile, has been passed over by West coaches.

Guard Chauncey Billups is the Nuggets' sole representative, having led his hometown team to a 30-16 record after arriving in Denver from Detroit in a trade for Allen Iverson barely one week into the season.

"Not taking anything away from the 12 players who made the All-Star team, as each is deserving, but if you're telling me that Carmelo Anthony is not one of the top 12 players in the Western Conference, then I say you need to have your head examined," Nuggets vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman said Thursday night. "He has sacrificed his scoring this season for the betterment of this team, which shows by how much more complete and well-rounded of a team we are this year.

"We are very proud of Chauncey, of course. His election to the West squad was a no-brainer, as we thought Melo's was going to be. Melo scores the basketball easier than any player on this planet, hands down, and has matured and grown as a player every year he's been in the league. He is an All-Star, period."

West's somewhat unexpected addition to the West squad -- he's averaging 20 points a game for the Hornets but is taking in nearly two rebounds less than last season at a nightly average of 7.1 compared to 8.9 in 2007-08 -- which was announced Thursday on TNT with the rest of the reserves in each conference.

Anthony's candidacy was apparently impacted by the broken bone in his right hand that sidelined him for Denver's past 10 games and numbers that have dipped slightly to 21.1 points and 7.3 rebounds a game. Nuggets coach George Karl has said repeatedly that Anthony is doing less statistically but more overall for the Nuggets, who lead the Northwest Division and rank as one of the league's most improved teams.

Anthony, 24, was an All-Star in each of the past two seasons but has yet to be voted in by the coaches in his six-season career, earning one bid as an injury-replacement selection by NBA commissioner David Stern and getting voted in as a starter by the fans last season.

"I was definitely excited. My next question right directly after that was, 'Did Melo make it?' Of course I'm disappointed in that," Billups said. "The only reason why is because of the injury. It's just an unfortunate situation."

The other West reserves are include Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, the Lakers' Pau Gasol, San Antonio's Tony Parker, Portland's Brandon Roy and Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal.

The Orlando Magic made out best in the East, with Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis picked as reserves by the conference's coaches alongside starter Dwight Howard. It's the first time Orlando has had three All-Stars.

"I was just anxious to find out," Nelson said. "I honestly don't get that way. But me hearing everywhere, 'You're an All-Star, you should be an All-Star, you're having an All-Star year.' So you just want to see if people will give you the respect that other people think you deserve."

The other East reserves include Eastern Conference Boston's Paul Pierce, Toronto's Chris Bosh, Atlanta's Joe Johnson, Indiana's Danny Granger and New Jersey's Devin Harris.

For the second year in a row, only two of the Boston Celtics' Big Three made the initial roster: Pierce was voted in Thursday with starter Kevin Garnett, while Ray Allen was left out.

Allen was passed over despite averaging 18.0 points and helping Boston to a 38-9 record. The eight-time All-Star was skipped over last year, too, but was later added by commissioner David Stern as an injury replacement for Caron Butler.

Other notable exclusions include Vince Carter of the Nets, Rajon Rondo of the Celtics, Hedo Turkoglu of the Magic and Mo Williams of the Cavs in the East and Steve Nash of the Suns, Deron Williams of the Jazz and Al Jefferson of the Wolves in the West.

I thought Melo was a shoo in :eek:

Saying Rondo is a notable exclusion is a joke!

I have been a fan of Rashard Lewis for a while...

Melo should have made it for sure and I hate the Cavs but honestly I think Mo Williams should have been on there too, other then Melo not making it, I was pretty satisfied tho.

Gilbert4MVP said:
it really isnt.. he's one of the main reasons the magic are winning.

NBA.com : Rashard Lewis Info Page

20 points a game.. who else would you put on? ray allen?

NBA.com : Ray Allen Info Page

nope

Vince Carter,
Jamison,
Caron Butler.
DAVID LEE.
Iggy.

Rashard Lewis has 19 points, 2 turnovers, 6 rebounds, 2 assists.
Vince Carter has 21, 2 turnovers, 5 rebounds, 5 assists.
Jamison has 21 points, 9 rebounds, 1.4 turnovers, 2 assists
Butler has 20 points 6 rebounds 4 assists and 3 turnovers
DAVID LEE 16 points 12 rebounds 2 assists and 2 turnovers
Iggy 18 points 5 assists 6 turnovers 3 turnovers

David Lee by far deserves it more then Lewis, and any of the players I listed deserve it just as much as Lewis.

Ground Support said:
Vince Carter,
Jamison,
Caron Butler.
DAVID LEE.
Iggy.

Rashard Lewis has 19 points, 2 turnovers, 6 rebounds, 2 assists.
Vince Carter has 21, 2 turnovers, 5 rebounds, 5 assists.
Jamison has 21 points, 9 rebounds, 1.4 turnovers, 2 assists
Butler has 20 points 6 rebounds 4 assists and 3 turnovers
DAVID LEE 16 points 12 rebounds 2 assists and 2 turnovers
Iggy 18 points 5 assists 6 turnovers 3 turnovers

David Lee by far deserves it more then Lewis, and any of the players I listed deserve it just as much as Lewis.
just keep in mind the record of the magic. i think this is how this kicks in.

I know their record, and I understand why he was chosen.

Doesn't mean it isn't a joke. I mean when someone leads the league in double doubles, you'd think he be an allstar.

Ground Support said:
Vince Carter,
Jamison,
Caron Butler.
DAVID LEE.
Iggy.

Ah yes.. those guys might have slightly better stats but they are also the top dog for their teams except for Butler/Jamison.

Lewis has to share the load among Dwight, Jameer and Turkoglu who averages 17.2ppg ;)

Top dog = better stats.

Look at Rashard's last season with Seattle when he ruled the team with Ray Allen.
22.4ppg and 6.6 boards a game.

I think all those guys are pretty even... Rashard deserves his chance :)

Hands said:
Ah yes.. those guys might have slightly better stats but they are also the top dog for their teams except for Butler/Jamison.

Lewis has to share the load among Dwight, Jameer and Turkoglu who averages 17.2ppg ;)

Top dog = better stats.

Look at Rashard's last season with Seattle when he ruled the team with Ray Allen.
22.4ppg and 6.6 boards a game.

I think all those guys are pretty even... Rashard deserves his chance :)

David Lee isn't the top dog on his team. You know as well as I do the ball doesn't go through him.

Back