Baseball Home Run Derby Preview

intelliracer

Bench Warmer
It appears that seven of baseball's most feared sluggers will battle it out on Monday night for the home run hitting crown. On a night where San Francisco Bay will be packed full of boats and one lucky fan will win a house, let's see who bring the most excitement.

American League

Vladimir Guerrero (LAA) - Guerrero is one of the most consistent sluggers in baseball history. The only season since 1998 where Vlad has not hit 30 or more homers was 2003 when he only played in 112 games. He still managed 25 that season. He has slammed 14 bombs thus far this year and look for him to take several balls out of the yard on Monday, possibly for all three rounds.

Magglio Ordonez (DET) - Ordonez is having his finest season ever this year. He has hit just 14 home runs, but has consistently hit 30 in full seasons throughout his career. He doesn't have the power of the other Derby participants, and may have trouble getting out of the first round.

Alex Rios (TOR) - By far the least powerful of Derby participants, Rios has already eclisped his home run total from last year. I don't see him getting into the finals, but who saw Garret Anderson or Bobby Abreu ever winning a derby?

Justin Morneau (MIN) - Morneau really came on last season, winning the AL MVP. This season, he has already hit 23 homers, and seems to be the second strongest particpant for the AL. But, I also see him becoming the next player to hit a lot of Derby home runs, and then have a horrible second half.

National League:

Ryan Howard (PHI) - Last year's winner has overcame injuries in the beginning of this season to end with just 21 before the break. He has a very good chance of repeating as champion, but there are two or three guys who can give him a run for his money.

Prince Fielder (MIL) - A first-time Derby participant and possibly a first-time MVP by season's end, Fielder brings his big bat to San Francisco to show the west that it isn't just his daddy that has power. He leads the NL in home runs, and should bomb out plenty for the fans. If I were matched with Prince in the house contest, I would like my chances.

Albert Pujols (StL) - Pujols is always a threat in anything to with hitting home runs. And he always will be. Watch for him to make a run, but one of these three won't be making the second round.

Miguel Cabrera (FLA) - Scratched due to injury. Unknown to me at this time if there is a replacement.

This derby will be exciting and I can't wait to watch it. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Derby records that fall tomorrow. My prediction is that Prince Fielder will come away with the title after a close fought battle with either Ryan Howard or Valdimir Guerrero.

I remember last year prince got brought up from the minors, he went 0-19 at his first 19 at bats. brew crew sat him for 5 games, and he's been hittin homers ever since. i say he wins and sets a new record.

Sorry... I think the leader for AL MVP is still ARod... but that's a long discussion for a different thread.

Surprising they couldn't convince ARod to get into the HR Durby... he would have won by a landslide

Back