Grading question

stantonss

Bench Warmer
In the market for a Rickey Henderson RC.

Should I pick up a couple that are in good shape and have the graded?

Buy one graded a 9 (currently one on EBAY for $185.00 with 5 hours away)

Or mainly, what do you think a GEM MINT 10 would come back graded as trhough PSA? You can pick these up fairly cheap and they look to be in good shape.

if you are looking for a certain grade, your best bet would be to just buy one already slabbed. As for Gem MT 10, not worth the price of the holders.

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to get a 9, even if you think the one you have is rock-solid!! In the end, even if it does cost more, it'd be worth the saved effort to just buy one. You'd probably have to purchase multiple raw copies in hopes of having at least one 9, pay to have them submitted, and even then, if none come back at the grade you want, you're right where you started.

Also, don't even bother with GEM graded cards. They grade anything a 10, and odds are you'll end up with a worthless trimmed card.

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to get a 9, even if you think the one you have is rock-solid!! In the end, even if it does cost more, it'd be worth the saved effort to just buy one. You'd probably have to purchase multiple raw copies in hopes of having at least one 9, pay to have them submitted, and even then, if none come back at the grade you want, you're right where you started.

Also, don't even bother with GEM graded cards. They grade anything a 10, and odds are you'll end up with a worthless trimmed card.

Thanks guys. Been out of the loop for a couple years, getting my feet wet again.

psa
bgs (NOT BCCG though- even though they're part of BGS)
sgc

don't bother w/anything else. way too lenient on their standards.

as for the hendersons, VERY tough to buy raw and get even a 9, much less a 10. back in those days, cards were cut w/crude tools to say the least...print dots, nasty edges, easily dinged corners, etc. unless you buy a sealed vending box or cellos, you're probably not going to find a 9 or 10 worthy card by buying it raw on ebay.

most really nice ungraded ones could be trimmed or altered. I have a really nice one I got from a 1980 vending box around 1992 or so. Will grade anywhere from a 7 to an 8. Buy graded suck it up and spend the money.

Back