Favorite Sports and Action Figures Through The Years!!

That is an AMAZING collection! Mix of vintage and new, I am guessing? Castle Grayskull was a Christmas gift in about 1984, and I had a lot of fun hours playing with that!! The Slime Pit was awesome too!

some of those figures are the higher-end "Classics" MOTU figures from 2010-ish, some are the new 7" "Masterverse" figures and others are the new "Origins" retro-style 5.5" figures.

...and some of those are vintage --- the very first action figure I ever got was Tri-Klops at a Winn-Dixie in Elizabethton, TN in '83 when I was 4 years-old... most of my original MOTU collection was sold by my mom at a church rummage sale years ago.
I think that's why I like collecting toys and cards --- to try and get back what I used to have, whether it is for the actual pieces or just that nostalgic feel to make my day a little brighter and help me forget I grew-up to live in Current-Year Clown World

some of those figures are the higher-end "Classics" MOTU figures from 2010-ish, some are the new 7" "Masterverse" figures and others are the new "Origins" retro-style 5.5" figures.

...and some of those are vintage --- the very first action figure I ever got was Tri-Klops at a Winn-Dixie in Elizabethton, TN in '83 when I was 4 years-old... most of my original MOTU collection was sold by my mom at a church rummage sale years ago.
I think that's why I like collecting toys and cards --- to try and get back what I used to have, whether it is for the actual pieces or just that nostalgic feel to make my day a little brighter and help me forget I grew-up to live in Current-Year Clown World
Yeah, I think that is the beauty of this hobby of ours, it brings us back to a place and different time when life was simpler!

Whoever picked up your collection at the Church Sale did pretty good for pennies on the dollar! I have picked up a few Star Wars figures like that over the years at various secondhand stores and yard sales! Always happy to come across a find like that!

@Mechjo16 @K.C._Royals! @grapler135s @AndyDrummond @LarryG

This question is not just for you, anyone can chime in, but we are all in the same age range, so wanted to ask: when toys were $2.99 or $3.99 in the 80s, was it easier to get that kind of money together? I know that adjusting for inflation, the prices are about the same. But, seeing these Star Wars figures in Walmart tonight, I just cant picture a 6, 7 or 8 year old kid having the cash to buy one of these?
20230411_175205_HDR.jpg20230411_175201_HDR.jpg20230411_175153_HDR.jpg

Or is it that kids dont collect toys anymore? The main collectors I know are in their 30s and 40s, but what do you all think??

Yeah seems expensive for sure…but then again so does everything else. I think the last time I was in the LCS the 2023 Topps Series 1 packs were at $5 each!

Everything is out of control with pricing. One of the main reasons the cost are so high is that when it comes to plastics/rubbers the chemicals that were used to make toys can no longer be used. Which is good from a health standpoint.

However, this forces manufacturers to source different resources and re-engineer how products are made leading to one of the main reasons of the price hikes. We deal with this challenge all the time in the auto industry. Hence why a ranger will cost you $35-$40k vs the $15k it was in the 80s.

I feel like it was probably about the same all things equal. Seems like it always came down to whether or not your parents were just giving you stuff or you had to earn it. We were lower middle-class, so in say, 1988, if I got all my chores done my Mom would give me money for one pack of cards, which was 50 cents. I knew plenty of kids whose parents would give them 10 bucks to go to the card shop every weekend and they didn’t have to do anything for it. Putting together $18 for a full box required some above and beyond type work or a BDay type holiday where you would get some serious cash.

@grapler135s I was just talking to a student of mine about that, how we pay more for the same things (i.e. milk that was once $2.50 a gallon is now $4.99 a gallon for the same milk!) When I was at Walmart yesterday, I was looking at the cards and supplies, even toploaders and penny sleeves are expensive anymore!

@Mechjo16 that is really interesting about the supply chain and having to use different resources to create products, I was not aware of that, but your example of why vehicles are more expensive makes good sense!

@AndyDrummond I was probably in a similar situation, scraping together 50 cents for a pack of cards (now $5!!) was a big deal. We are trying to help our kids get started earning their own money and budgeting it a little bit (i.e. donate $1, save $5, spend $4 out of every $10), and its a real process! My 7 year old still loves toys, though my 9 and 10 year olds not as much. It will be cool to see what their hobbies are as they grow up!

Part of it is the licensing fees.
Hasbro charges more for Marvel and Star Wars figures than they do their own IP like G.I. Joe and Transformers

Part of it is the licensing fees.
Hasbro charges more for Marvel and Star Wars figures than they do their own IP like G.I. Joe and Transformers
@K.C._Royals!

Really?? I did not know that, it does make sense though!

I will also say, the detail on faces especially are AMAZING currently!

Back