Football Crennel stays confident despite Browns' struggles

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Amid speculation his job is in jeopardy, Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Monday he isn't worried about his future.

Expected to be a playoff contender after winning 10 games last season, the Browns lost their third straight home game and fell to 4-7 on Sunday following an embarrassing 16-6 loss to the Houston Texans. Crennel, 24-35 since taking over in 2005, was disappointed with his team's performance and said the "buck stops with me."

"I don't worry about it. I can't control it," he said. "The thing I can control is whether we win or lose. If we win, that improves my chances. If we don't, then that hurts my chances."

"I'm the head coach and the buck stops at my desk. It's my charge. If we don't win games, it's on me. Just like when the offense doesn't do well, it falls on the quarterback, rightly or wrongly. But this position, the scrutiny goes with it."

Also, Crennel said quarterback Brady Quinn has not lost his starting job after being pulled in the third quarter on Sunday in favor of Derek Anderson. Crennel was hoping Anderson, a Pro Bowler who was benched earlier this season, could spark the Browns, but Quinn will be under center when Cleveland hosts Indianapolis this week.

Crennel said Quinn, who broke the tip of his right index finger in a win last week over Buffalo, has a damaged tendon that affects the rotation on his passes.

A source tells ESPN's Michael Smith that Quinn will see Dr. James Andrews on Tuesday for a second opinion on his injured finger.

Brady is seeking the second opinion on his injury on his own initiative. The team is not sending him for the check.

"He is the starter," Crennel said. "He is the quarterback. He is not on a short leash. If he were on a short leash, I would've told him before the game that if you throw two interceptions I'm going to take you out. But I didn't do that because it was not my intention."

Back