Football Burress' case to adjourn to September

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The attorney for Plaxico Burress told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that Monday's court appearance will result in another adjournment in his client's gun case until "sometime in September."

Benjamin Brafman, the receiver's lawyer, also hinted that Burress might be able to play in the coming NFL season.

"As far as I'm concerned, if he wants to play this year, he's able to play," Brafman said, according to the Daily News. "We will be in and out of the court of Monday morning by 9:15." Meanwhile, a date for the adjournment "has yet to be determined," Brafman told Paolantonio. "If there is going to be a trial in this case, it will not be until 2010. That is my best guess."

In March, Burress' attorneys asked for and received an adjournment of his hearing until Monday, June 15.

Burress, who was released by the Giants this offseason, faces felony gun charges stemming from an accidental, self-inflicted shooting last November inside a New York nightclub.

A plea deal has not been arranged. The district attorney has agreed to this adjournment.

There are three teams still seriously interested in Burress: the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Chicago Bears. A source close to Burress said the receiver would like to play for the Jets so that he could "stick it to the Giants", who released him in April.

Sources within the Jets organization said that while the team is still very interested in Burress, it wants to get a clearer indication from commissioner Roger Goodell's office about what Goodell will do with regards to the personal conduct policy -- i.e., if will he penalize Burress.

"We reserve the right to act accordingly at the appropriate time," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

After accidentally shooting himself in a Manhattan nightclub last Nov. 29, Burress was arraigned Dec. 1 on two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a loaded and unlicensed weapon, a Glock semi-automatic pistol, which carries a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 3½ years.

Back