athlete stupidity rant

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
ok, I get it that many athletes are professional athletes because they grew up in a tough climate, so their escape was a sport, and they devoted a ton of time to the sport to stay away from a dysfunctional home. what annoys me most, is they don't take more advantage of the educational opportunities that come from athletics. sure, there are a fair number of athletes that are pushed through high school and then college that do not have a basic education. Kenny Battle, 1989 or 1990 draft pick of the Phoenix Suns out of Illinois was illiterate and couldn't even write his own name. he graduated high school and attended the University of Illinois, and couldn't write his name. my sister was a straight A student in high school and entered into U of I in the bottom 10 percent of her freshman class, and I believe that was based off ACT test, she got either a 23 or 27...

sure, things have changed in terms of media coverage in the past 20 years. I would venture to say that 90% of college students have cell phones with video recording capability. the post 9/11 world has cameras on many city blocks. 20 years ago there might be a few pictures taken when a person used an ATM, but now that is video, might even be color video, and from that you can determine where the person is coming from, and trace them back from camera to camera. social media has exploded in the past 10 years. everyone has a camera and everyone puts dumb stuff online.

as a top flight division 1 athlete, one has to know that people are taking pictures all the time. SELFIE. now there are pictures of underage athletes online consuming alcohol. until recently, being THE STAR would afford you extra opportunities to be a n idiot and get away with it, but the past couple months, the stars are falling. everyone is on a level field.

when previously attached to a sexual assault case, you must know what you should and shouldn't do/say around women. that growing up stuff is a bunch of bull.

I have said numerous times, if I was a GM in the NFL I wouldn't touch Johnny Manziel and I wouldn't touch Jameis Winston either now. you can be an idiot once, but you cant keep using the 'learn from your mistake' garbage multiple times for the same thing. I wouldn't want someone with 'character issues' around my team. I am far from a holy roller or perfect person. I have never been in the back of a police car, the only time ive been to jail was on a field trip and when I worked in one, the only ticket ive gotten was a speeding ticket, and the only time ive dealt with police is for speeding or media relations...

yesterday Roger Goodell was blowing a ton of smoke about the shield and all the things they are doing to change their image that has been beaten down over the past 8 months. look we hired a bunch of women. the presser had quite a few women asking questions that he avoided. he just talked on an on about nothing at all in response to Rachel Nichols (CNN, formerly of ESPN and CBS) and Melissa Stark (NFL Network, formerly ABC Monday Night Football). yes, there are the 'token sideline hotties' out there. Erin Andrews replaced the older and less attractive Pam Oliver this year. I would say Oliver is more of a 'real' journalist than Andrews, and the only other legit sports journalist that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned is Lindsey Czarniak. im sure there are others, but those women need to go off the deep end on Goodell like Keith Olberman has been over the past couple weeks. hold Goodell's feet to the fire, to get the NFL to realize that they need to hold their employees to a higher standard. if convicted of a felony, you get fired. key word CONVICTED. millions of children look up to these athletes and whether or not they want to be, they ARE role models and need to act as such.

I couldn't agree with you more, Jason, about the idiot athletes or the fact that convicted felons should be fired. However, I don't believe someone should have to be convicted before punishments, or maybe just precautions, are put into place. For example, when the video of Ray Rice came out he should have been suspended (with or without pay) immediately. Then, if he's never convicted his issue could be reevaluated to determine what to do for the betterment of the league. In this case, I'd say they made the right choice suspending him indefinitely whether he's convicted or not.

On to the AP issue, which I'm certain is what Shawn is referring to, I believe the correct decision has been made there too. There is evidence that shows that he did beat his child with a switch. That happened. Whether or not it's abuse is up to a court to determine, but since there is at least some kind of evidence rather than just hearsay I don't think the league should just let it go until the court hearing is complete. Again, I think the decision to suspend him (or whatever it is they're calling it), with pay, until the case is complete was the right decision.

Yes that is what I was referring to. I am not upset about the fact he has been benched, but more about how people are making him out to be a monster when no one truly knows the whole story. For instance, I read through some of the supposed documents on the case yesterday. The mother filed these claims more than 24 hours after AP dropped his son off with her. Odd? If my son came home with injuries that made me call the police, I would have done it immediately. Not the next day. Also, she admitted to a reported that the only reason she said anything about his alleged abuse is because she is mad at him for other issues. So we don't know all the details. Yes he could have done it. But, this could happen to anyone. I have been hit in the balls by a belt by accident when my mother was disciplining me for something I did because I jumped. She didn't mean to but it happened. I think all of the crap with supposed AP fans selling his jersey or burning it is stupid. That's what irks me.

Suspend with pay is a good call. Maybe we will get lucky and after all this blows over, he will move to a good team where he can actually show he full potential! I have always maintained that I am an AP fan, not a Vikings Fan :p

I hear what you're saying, Shawn, but it doesn't matter how long it took to report it or why they reported it. Sure, it could have been reported sooner but that doesn't mean it didn't happen or that it was any less severe. It's very common for crimes to be reported days after they've been committed.

I'm not saying that he's a monster, even if he's found guilty of abuse. Maybe he was having a bad day and just snapped. Maybe he'd warned the kid multiple times before what was going to happen. Regardless, though, after seeing the photos I'm sure even AP would agree that what he did was a bit excessive.

Im just saying that maybe, just maybe, he didn't leave those marks? :eek: It wouldn't be the first time a Gold Digging mother injured their child and blamed the father to try and "settle out of Court". I know its harder to just assume someone is being set up than it is to just jump on the hater band wagon, but until he is proven guilty, I find it very hard to believe anything, including those pictures (photoshop is getting easier to master by the day!) I have a photo of Jessica Alba in bed with me, just saying ;)

Back