Football 49ers not interested in bringing in Vick

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Cross one team off the list of possible destinations for Michael Vick.

Even though the San Francisco 49ers find themselves with an unsettled quarterback position, general manager Scot McCloughan said they are not interested in pursuing Vick.

"Well, I think what happens there, and I totally respect it, is people understand who [coach] Mike Singletary is and understand that he has no problem giving guys second chances," he said on SIRIUS NFL Radio. "Coach and I have sat down. We sat down and talked last week. We had an off-week of OTAs and we discussed about Michael Vick and we're not going to go that route. We will not do it."

The Niners took Alex Smith with the first overall pick in the 2005 draft, but he has not lived up to expectations due to injuries and ineffectiveness. Shaun Hill, who started eight games last season, and Damon Huard, a sometimes starter for the Chiefs the past few years, are currently on the roster along with Smith and rookie Nate Davis.

Vick is currently under house arrest in Hampton, Va. He was released from federal prison last month after serving a 23-month sentence for a dogfighting conspiracy.

Back