Baseball 2013 Playoffs

BradHemphill

Bench Warmer
With the playoff match-ups almost set, what are your thoughts on the 2013 playoffs? I am a life-long, biased Braves fan from Arizona so I'm hoping they can make a run - especially considered how they exited last year's playoffs. Bias or not, their pitching depth is the best in baseball and their defense is above-average. Their offense will have to perform more consistently, though.

What are your thoughts?

I like the Braves bullpen a lot. Their starters concern me a little bit. I really like Detroit but I've liked their squad for the past three years and it seems like they can never get it done. This should be Jim Leyland's last season. If Tampa Bay had another power hitter or two then I would say that they could make it to the World Series as their starters are superb.

I like the Rays and their crazy coach as well. Detroit has been a bit rough in the playoffs. Unfortunately for me as a Braves fan, it seems like the Cardinals in the NL and whoever wins the AL East are just better suited for the playoffs. I really think this years seems more wide open, though.

With my Washington Nationals sitting home eating humble pie, I'll be rooting for my former team before the Nats came to town, the Dodgers. However, it would be nice to to see the Pittsburgh Pirates win the NL pennant. If nothing else, I hope that their fans haven't waited 21 years to be eliminated in one playoff game. For the life of me, I can not understand how baseball, a sport that builds its schedule around regular and post season series', can justify a one-game wildcard playoff.

Every team in the NL has a legitimate shot in my opinion. All of them have played good, consistent baseball for most of the year and earned their playoff births. If I had to pick a favorite (and my predictions are the kiss of death), the Cardinals would by my favorite with Los Angeles crowding them.

I don't follow the AL too much, but the Red Sox have looked good all year. They won a pretty competitive AL East with room to spare and should be in good shape for October. The Rays have had a good ball club for a while now and if they get by Cleveland can make some noise. Jim Leyland will have the Tigers ready and the A's didn't win 96 games with no talent.

It should be an interesting October and whoever wins it will have to play heads up baseball the entire way.

I agree about the one game playoff. That is so stupid after playing 162 games in a season where you use your pitching staff over 4 game series against specific teams. I don't think the A's have a shot at all. Their pitching is too young and they lack power hitters. I like Cleveland's lineup but their pitching staff is weak. Those are the only two teams that I would immediately count out.

I'm with you all on the one-game playoff. Last season, the Braves (I know, I'm biased) finished WAY ahead of the other wild card team and then lost in controversial fashion. What does anyone think about a change in the rule that stipulates a certain amount of closeness between the two wild card teams. For example, if more than five games separate the two teams, no need for the game. The Braves finished a full 6 games ahead of the Cardinals last year. To me, that's enough of a gap to nullify the game.

That's enough of a gap to certainly nullify a game between a fourth and fifth placed team. I said this in a response to my intro and am writing it again. It seems to me that baseball is trying to generate excitement instead of letting the game create it. I would much rather see two teams legitimately tie and play a one game playoff then have a wildcard game.

I cannot lie. If it were up to me there would be no wildcards. I think the last month of the regular season would be so much more exciting. But those days are over. As it is, I'd rather they go back to four teams instead of having this wildcard playoff.

We agree, Timmy. I'd rather not have it at all. The one, best-record wild-card to balance the playoff teams to 4 is great, but why give another team a shot? And if you're going to, why not require that they be within a couple of games of each other? I'll say it again, the Braves finished SIX games ahead of the team in the NL with the fifth best record (St. Louis). Maybe one day soon, the gap will be ten or eleven games and baseball will actually be forced to have this discussion.

I'm with you all on the one-game playoff. Last season, the Braves (I know, I'm biased) finished WAY ahead of the other wild card team and then lost in controversial fashion. What does anyone think about a change in the rule that stipulates a certain amount of closeness between the two wild card teams. For example, if more than five games separate the two teams, no need for the game. The Braves finished a full 6 games ahead of the Cardinals last year. To me, that's enough of a gap to nullify the game.
That's actually a very good point. I'm not sure why baseball decided to go to two wild cards in the first place besides the obvious increase in revenue. I'm not a traditionalist by any means but this is one issue where I would prefer that tradition be honored. I guess we'll all be proved wrong one year when the last team in wins the World Series.

I agree, thajayz. But I'm afraid when the last team in finally wins one is when all heck will break lose. I'm actually starting to see some of baseball's best writers address the issue. I just don't remember any noise last year when a team so far behind got in because of the change. I hate it.

I really like how Atlanta looks so far this post-season. I think they have a great shot at it. I doubt the Tigers get back to the world series. Their hitting just isn't good enough with Miggy nursing his injury. I think Boston could make it to the world series. They are on fire, up 2-0 in the series. If Ellsbury can get back to 100% he can be the difference maker.

Well, unfortunately that is it for the Braves. They are loaded with young talent and should compete for the post-season for years to come, but they just seem to lack that middle of the line-up presence like they had with Chipper Jones, or Terry Pendelton, or Dale Murphy. Maybe Freddie Freeman takes that next step and the Uptons and Heyward finally put together full, monster seasons.

The Dodgers took a chance pitching Kershaw in game three and got away with it. The Braves had a good year. They have a sound organization which reminds me of the old Baltimore Orioles teams that I grew up with. They will remain contenders.

The Dodgers-Cardinals series for my money is a matchup of whom I think are the two best teams in the NL. It is also an old school East-West matchup. I'm not really a baseball fan, but will watch this one.

It's looking like the Cardinals may advance again. I like Leyland, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Red Sox. That said, I've kinda lost interest in the playoffs at this point. Just waiting for the news that the Braves have traded for Price so next year can be more promising.

Back