12/24 One-Round Mock

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
I don't usually do mocks before the pro season ends, but seeing as the Rams are in line for the No. 1 pick... what the hell.

Just preliminary stuff here. Let me know what you think.

1. St. Louis - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
- With Locker going back to school, Suh must be the pick. There will be a lot of discussion about Clausen, though.
2. Detroit - DT Gerald McCoy*, Oklahoma
- Detroit could go a number of ways with this pick -- OT, S, DL, etc. -- but go with the second-best DT in an extremely deep class.
3. Tampa Bay - S Eric Berry*, Tennessee
- Berry is the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor and with both the top DTs off the board, this is a good consolation prize for the Bucs.
4. Cleveland - QB Jimmy Clausen*, Notre Dame
- Brady Quinn hasn't exactly worked out as planned, but Clausen is a better pro prospect than Quinn. It's clear the Browns don't know what they're doing and need a QB in the worst way.
5. Kansas City - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma St.
- This allows them to move Branden Albert to LG, where he's better suited to play anyway.
6. Washington - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
- Might be a little high for a RB, but I'm expecting a huge combine out of Spiller, which should shoot him up the draft boards.
7. Buffalo - DE Derrick Morgan*, Georgia Tech
- The Bills are another team that has a lot of holes to fill. So, they take the best 4-3 DE available to help a porous pass-rush.
8. Seattle - OT Charles Brown, USC
- Walter Jones is likely done and the Hawks need someone to fill the void.
9. Denver (from CHI) - ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama
- Denver's defense started out strong, but has faded just a tad of late. McClain gives them a true leader in the middle of the 3-4 defense.
10. Oakland - OT Bruce Campbell*, Maryland
- Probably the most physically gifted OT in the draft, Campbell falls this far only because of injury concern. Then again, this pick makes way too much sense for Al Davis to make.
11. San Francisco - OT Anthony Davis*, Rutgers
- Davis can step in right away at right tackle, which is a great need for the Niners.
12. San Francisco (from CAR) - QB Ryan Mallett*, Arkansas
- Mallett has all the physical tools to be a great QB. He's extremely raw and the Niners could use a franchise QB.
13. Jacksonville - DE Brandon Graham, Michigan
- The Jags have problems getting to the QB, even after drafting Derrick Harvey and Quinton Groves a couple years ago.
14. Pittsburgh - CB Joe Haden*, Florida
- The Steelers could use an infusion of youth in the secondary, so they grab the best CB in the draft.
15. Houston - S Taylor Mays, USC
- Big-time hitter, should step right in to team up with Bernard Pollard in the Texan secondary.
16. N.Y. Jets - WR Dez Bryant*, Oklahoma St.
- Braylon Edwards hasn't exactly worked out too well, so the Jets grab the best WR in the draft to help Mark Sanchez.
17. Atlanta - OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
- The Falcons have been a huge disappointment this year. They need some youth at the linebacker position, and Weatherspoon is the perfect fit.
18. Tennessee - DE Jason Pierre-Paul*, South Florida
- The loss of Albert Haynesworth has been felt big time. Pierre-Paul is not Haynesworth (doesn't even play the same position), but the Titans hope he can help their pass rush.
19. Miami - ILB Brandon Spikes, Florida
- Would have been a top 20 pick if he had come out last season, should fit in right next to Channing Crowder.
20. N.Y. Giants - S Earl Thomas*, Texas
- A Thomas/Kenny Phillips safety tandem will be feared for years to come.
21. Baltimore - WR Damian Williams*, USC
- Williams offers return ability, as well as good hands and route-running.
22. Seattle (from DEN) - QB Sam Bradford*, Oklahoma
- The 2008 Heisman winner returned to school, got hurt and will end up costing him millions. However, Seattle is able to overlook that and tabs him as the heir apparent to Matt Hasselbeck.
23. Green Bay - OT Bryan Bulaga*, Iowa
- Chad Clifton is beyond done. The Pack need someone to keep Aaron Rodgers upright.
24. Arizona - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
- With Kurt Warner only around for one more season the Cards need to focus on building an offensive line to fit Chris Wells' style. Iupati is a mauler and should help the run offense immensely.
25. Cincinnati - WR Golden Tate*, Notre Dame
- Has drawn comparisons to Steve Smith (NYG), which is high praise. He has good hands and runs excellent routes.
26. Dallas - OT Trent Williams*, Oklahoma
- He might profile better as a RT, but the Cowboys will take what they can get right now.
27. New England - RB Jahvid Best*, California
- Perhaps even more explosive than Spiller (though, not as consistent), Best would add that element to the Patriot backfield.
28. Philadelphia - DE Everson Griffen*, USC
- Trent Cole is one of the best in the business. Griffen could learn from him to make the Eagle pass rush even more deadly. Middle linebacker is probably a bigger need, but there aren't any available worthy of this pick.
29. Minnesota - QB Tony Pike, Cincinnati
- Brett Favre is making his presence known (both good and bad) in Minnesota, but he won't be around forever. So, the Vikes opt for a more polished college QB, as opposed to a guy like Jerrod Johnson (if he declares).
30. San Diego - DT Terrence Cody, Alabama
- Jamal Williams will be coming off a serious injury and Cody is the best nose tackle in this draft and can be groomed as Williams' replacement.
31. New Orleans - OLB Travis Lewis*, Oklahoma
- The Saint defense has been OK this season, but they need a playmaker at the linebacker position. Lewis is young and extremely talented and would fit nicely in New Orleans.
32. Indianapolis - DT/DE Arthur Jones, Syracuse
- I had this guy pegged as a potential top five pick before his knee injury. If the Colts grab him here, they'd be getting an absolute steal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article thanks. Detroit certainly do need those positions shoring up with draft picks. Surely they cannot go offense big-players again for the umpteenth time in a row?!

It's likely I just haven't been paying attention, but I didn't realize that Weatherspoon would be projected so high. He never struck me as projecting to the NFL well-enough to warrant that early of a pick.

I don't know how I feel about Eric Berry at #3. He is a great player, but I don't know if I'd want the Bucs to draft him at #3. I would hope that we trade down.

Article, eh? I kinda like the sound of that, being a journalism major and all. Thanks guys. :)

It's likely I just haven't been paying attention, but I didn't realize that Weatherspoon would be projected so high. He never struck me as projecting to the NFL well-enough to warrant that early of a pick.
He's one of the best OLBs in the draft (Travis Lewis is a close second, if he declares). The Falcons definitely need a lot of help on defense. Things will be a lot more clear after the combine.

I don't know how I feel about Eric Berry at #3. He is a great player, but I don't know if I'd want the Bucs to draft him at #3. I would hope that we trade down.
No doubt. I don't do trade mocks, as they're so damn complicated. If the Bucs couldn't trade down and Suh/McCoy are gone, who would you like to see them pick?

Rolando McClain, Joe Haden or Derrick Morgan. I would even take Eric Berry, just don;t like the fact of taking him at #3.
It was between Berry and Morgan at No. 3 for me. I could easily see them going that route.

McClain, huh? Do you not see Barrett Ruud coming back?

Probably not. Stranger things have happened. His return ability is a plus. I see him in no worse than a late- second/early-third round pick.

How come? I don't get to see the Bucs often, but his tackle numbers look good. Of course, stats can be misleading.
His tackle numbers are fine, but in our system the MLB is always going to have huge tackle numbers. I want someone back there that can make splash plays.

Glad to see an OL being picked by the Hawks. We need...4 new ones...*sigh* dammit...

Also, we will need to grab a decent RB I believe this draft. Jones is useless, Forsett feels like he is going to be a Maurice Morris type of player...good for a change of pace but not a feature back. If he is the #1 RB, I give him 3-5 weeks before he is too injured to play.

At this point, the only positions I feel comfortable at are LB and Center (Unger). The WR's are serviceable...maybe even above average...if the O-line could block for more then 2.1 seconds.

I think S Taylor Mays, USC will go earlier then 15th but if he does go to the Texans it would not surprise me they have been working hard on building up a great D and he would be an awesome piece to that puzzle.

Back