Baseball Who is your Mid Season MVP?

Ground Support

Bench Warmer
Please give me who and why.

AL - Maggilo Ordonez - He is the best hitter on the best hitting team in baseball. He has the best batting average (.367) and OBP % (.446) in the bigs. 115 Hits, and 70 RBI's, This Guy Comes to play every night, and doesn't look like he is going to let up any time soon.

NL - This one was a tough one. - Matt Holiday - Best OBP % in the NL. 122 Hits, and still has an .341 batting average. Where would Colorado be with out this guy?

the ONLY reason I woudnt say Ordonez is because I think if you take him off of that team they are still good. SO is he the POY? (player of the year-which is what the MVP should be renamed because it would make more sense) YES he is....

BUT if you take A-Rod OFF of the Yankees they are TERRIBLE this year...he has saved their butts soooooo many times it's rediculous.

I AGREE that Ordonez IS having a better COMPLETE year. BUT I think A-ROD is a more VALUABLE part of the team

it's like the year the Cubs were HIDEOUS (yea pick a year) and Sosa won MVP....they were a LAST place team....NO ONE should win the MVP on a LAST PLACE team...HOW valuable are you if you team is in the TOILET?

BLAH BLAH BLAH so I guess I agree with you LOL!

Ordonez MID-SEASON AL MVP! LOL

National league is a BIT tougher....I may go with Fielder, IF you take him off of that team I think they are a sub .500 team and NO ONE would be talking about them...

It's a jumbled mess though...there are a few guys that could be up for it

I gotta go with ARod & Fielder. I think of it more like these guys make the team successful. So I agree with a lot of what has been said... but these guys ARE their teams. Without them, the teams would really ****. Hence, they are Most Valuable not only to their teams, but in general, deserving of the MVP. We'll see where things shake out as the season goes on.

thekingpin said:
I gotta go with ARod & Fielder. I think of it more like these guys make the team successful. So I agree with a lot of what has been said... but these guys ARE their teams. Without them, the teams would really ****. Hence, they are Most Valuable not only to their teams, but in general, deserving of the MVP. We'll see where things shake out as the season goes on.

I can't go with AROD.

That team is stacked with overpaid talent that is not living up expectations. The Yankees have the highest Payroll in sports history, but they can barely stay above .500

I think Maggs and Holiday are blowing the expectations away.

Also, If you take Maggs off the Tigers, The Tigers are not in first place.

Josh

Here is what the ESPN experts think.. I hit this one dead on. ;)

ESPN - Stark: Handing out midseason awards - MLB

AL MVP of the half-year -- Magglio Ordonez, Tigers
Alex Rodriguez may have had a more eye-popping year, especially if you factor in home runs and back-page tabloid appearances. But the Yankees haven't been a factor in the division or wild-card races for more than about 20 minutes all season. Meanwhile, right there in the middle of the most lethal lineup in baseball, Ordonez is headed for a season that not even Ty Cobb ever duplicated in Detroit. And you can look that up. If Ordonez keeps mashing at his current clip, he'd finish with 68 doubles, a .369 average, 137 RBIs, 135 runs scored, 93 extra-base hits, a .445 on-base percentage and a 1.053 OPS. And even if we lower the doubles threshold to 50, no one has matched all those numbers since Hugh Duffy did it for the 1894 Boston Beaneaters. Oh, and we didn't even mention Ordonez is hitting .443 with runners in scoring position. Almost makes you want to run out and visit an Austrian knee surgeon, doesn't it? Apologies to: A-Rod, Vladimir Guerrero, Ichiro Suzuki, Victor Martinez, Torii Hunter.

NL MVP of the half-year -- Matt Holliday, Rockies
How come most people look at Rockies hitters and automatically disqualify them from consideration for all honors, trophies, awards or emphatic high fives? All right, don't bother answering that. We know why. But anybody who thinks Holliday is just another figment of baseball's most pervasive altitude sickness clearly hasn't been paying attention. True, he's hitting more than 100 points higher at home (.405) than on the road (.301). But his road OPS (.828) is still higher than the road OPS of Chase Utley, Carlos Lee, Derrek Lee, Jason Bay, Torii Hunter or Grady Sizemore. Plus, it was hard not to notice that it was Holliday who got more votes in the players' All-Star balloting than any other big leaguer. We admit we were leaning toward Prince Fielder in this MVP race for a long time. But in reality, both Holliday and Utley have had more of an all-around impact on their teams than Fielder, who is batting just .232 with runners in scoring position and only .154 in those situations with two outs. So why Holliday over Utley? Because, among other reasons, Utley's home-road splits (.387 home average, .266 road) are even wider than Holliday's. Even though the Rockies may be only hanging around the periphery of the NL West and wild-card races, they do have a better record since May 15 than the Dodgers, Mets, Phillies or Brewers. You think that might have something to do with that left fielder of theirs who's hanging with the league leaders in batting, RBIs, slugging, doubles, multihit games, hits and OPS? We do. Apologies to: Utley, Fielder, Jose Reyes, Barry Bonds, Russell Martin, Adrian Gonzalez.

I'm not so worried about ARod... I'd rather see Reyes or Wright from the Mets making a run at MVP this year... but I don't see that happening really.

well congrats for getting the MID SEASON MVP right josh, but its who does the whole season, lets see how it turns out, Detriot may not even win their division (Although i do think they will)

Back