Football Vikings QB Jackson appears to aggravate knee

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has worked hard to return to practice quickly after missing some time with a left knee injury to ensure he doesn't fall behind in the competition for the starting job.

On Friday night under the lights, Jackson may have tried to do a little too much. He appeared to aggravate the sprained MCL in his left knee when he planted after dropping back to pass, coming up gimpy and limping around for several minutes before returning to action.

"I was fine. I guess I just wasn't ready for that right now," Jackson said after practice. "But it's fine. It's not bothering me still. It was awkward for me. I think it was just some scare tissue."

Jackson is in a competition with Sage Rosenfels for the starting job. The players split snaps with the first team during two practices on Friday.

"I just felt something pop for a quick second," Jackson said. "But after I walked to the sideline it was pretty much OK. It's fine."

Coach Brad Childress said on Thursday that the passing game had much to improve upon as training camp wears on. There were more struggles in the evening practice on Friday night, but Childress said that was because they were practicing third-and-long scenarios, a difficult position for the offense to be in.

Childress said he wasn't ready to "slap a grade on" the quarterback competition one week into training camp.

"Obviously [Jackson] has missed time, so it wouldn't be fair to sit there and say, 'This guy's ahead by virtue he had five more practices,'" Childress said. "It's a good competition. It's all headed toward cumulative work here during practice and then I want to watch them compete with the lights on."

Back