Upper Deck Revamps Redemption Program

CommodoreCountry

Bench Warmer
Upper Deck Moving to 45 Day Redemption Fulfillment Program

Program Will Run Through Preferred Redemption Centers

Carlsbad, CA – When Upper Deck President and Founder Richard McWilliam stated his goal to have cards redeemed for collectors within 45 days, he meant it. McWilliam announced this seemingly daunting task at the sports card industry’s annual trade conference in Ft. Lauderdale just three months ago. Since then, plans went into place to make this commitment a reality.

In September of 2006, Upper Deck identified and partnered with over 200 direct hobby shops to serve as Preferred Redemption Centers for the company. The goal was to offer enhanced service to these shops for fulfilling redemptions on behalf of their customers. Retailers involved have enjoyed the program as Upper Deck frequently refers collectors to these shops.

Today Upper Deck is proud to announce autograph cards redeemed through these Preferred Redemption Centers will be fulfilled within 45 days. If the card is not available after 45 days, the hobby retailer will receive a message asking if they wish to have the card exchanged. If they choose to have it exchanged for the customer, they can submit a list of what the customer is interested in and a comparable card will be sent out within the week. If they want that particular card, they have the option to continue to wait as well.

“We realize every collector is different,†said Chris Carlin, Hobby Marketing Manager for Upper Deck. “Some people want to move on and get a replacement piece after a few weeks. Other collectors are not so concerned with how long it takes and want us to continue to chase these athletes down until they ultimately sign. We will assist our customers with whichever option they prefer. This is just another way we are enhancing the redemption process to deliver the best customer experience possible.â€

The company has made other strides in reducing the total amount of autograph redemptions being released in sets over the last few months as well.

“We have chosen to work more with players we have great relationships with and who we know can get the autograph cards back in a timely fashion,“ said Carlin. “These partnerships with premier athletes have allowed us to enhance content and reduce the amount of redemption cards we have to use. Senior management spends a lot of time looking at ways to reduce the number of redemption cards released in our products. From our President on down, we are dedicated to keeping the number of redemption cards in our products as low as possible. Our ultimate goal is to release every product on time, without redemption cards entirely.â€

Upper Deck has also recently added several Canadian hobby shops to the Preferred Redemption Program. For a list of Preferred Redemption Centers in the US and Canada, please visit http://sports.upperdeck.com/prc.

I need to see how they are going to track redemptions under this program, because there is potential for abuse by unethical shop owners.

You bring in a card that is eventually replaced, and the shop owner calls UD to complain the replacement is not acceptable. He gets a better replacement, or an additional card, and keeps it for himself. How is anyone to know the cards are going to the one who pulled the redemption?

Well, my local shop is listed on it, and I trust the owner. He's only selling the Cup for $380 until he runs out, which isn't that bad considering that the prices on Ebay are $400+.

I'm going to go in later today and bring the Cup redemptions that I currently have.

After 45 days they are going to send you ****. I heard somewhere that UD was sued after someone received crap cards for a high end redemption. UD lost, and now they stake no claim on value when substituting cards. UD sucks.

So....a shady card company decides to give an even shadier group responsibility in the process....No question who the big loser is in this deal.

Me and you and card collectors everywhere.

After 45 days they are going to send you ****. I heard somewhere that UD was sued after someone received crap cards for a high end redemption. UD lost, and now they stake no claim on value when substituting cards. UD sucks.

This is my concern.

Hopefully someone will sue Topps over the Matsusake fiasco (auto mystery redemptions announced that they can't fulfill because he hasn't signed with them yet). The end result could be the banning of the use of redemptions altogether.

Well, my local shop is listed on it, and I trust the owner. He's only selling the Cup for $380 until he runs out, which isn't that bad considering that the prices on Ebay are $400+.

I'm going to go in later today and bring the Cup redemptions that I currently have.

lisa what cardshop do you go to? Im in the mountain view area all the time for work. Also whered you go to see if it was on the list?

- john

So....a shady card company decides to give an even shadier group responsibility in the process....No question who the big loser is in this deal.

Me and you and card collectors everywhere.

It's unfortunate that someone has left you feeling this way. I believe the program will be beneficial actually. Also, I would appreciate a smidge of confidence in hobby store owners that they wouldn't try to take advantage of their customers.

Im at two years and 5 phone calls and 2 e-mails on my David Greene SPX Spectrum... and still waiting. I am passing their latest (it wont be here later then July deadline) within the week.

Closest shop on that list is two hours away, unless UD wants to pay for my gas they can expect ill keep going the normal route.

Im at two years and 5 phone calls and 2 e-mails on my David Greene SPX Spectrum... and still waiting. I am passing their latest (it wont be here later then July deadline) within the week.

Closest shop on that list is two hours away, unless UD wants to pay for my gas they can expect ill keep going the normal route.

oh they sent me a replacement for that and told me that was it... still thinking of getting a lawyer :D

Back