Upper Deck in trouble

Great,:doh: The ruling comes on the same day that Sp Authentic comes out. Im sure the box I ordered will be full of redemptions that will not be honored.:ban:

My phone is being a pain. What's the article?

Upper Deck had a contract with Komani to produce Yu-gi-oh cards, that’s simple enough, produce the cards and Upper Deck splits the profits.

Upper Deck thinks they are smart. Calls up China and says "hey, produce 600,000 yu-gi-oh cards behind Japans back, they will never notice." Japan notices. Konami is suing for copyright infringement and everything else in the book.

Upper Deck executives pleading the 5th... someone is going to jail.

Panini and Press Pass for 2010... :ban:

Someone on Blowouts site has a list he's adding onto -

The thread - http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/52471-indictment-upper-deck.html

The Indicment so far -

From 1989 until the present, in the Central District of California as well as in various locations throughout the United States and in foreign territories,

THE UPPER DECK COMPANY

the defendant herein, did knowingly and willfully conspire with persons known and unknown to perpetrate a series of frauds on certain members of the public, namely, collectors of sports cards and memorabilia. In furtherance of the conspiracy the Upper Deck Company did the following:

A. engineered a collapse in the value of sports cards in the 1989-1993 time frame by deliberately overproducing baseball cards, to wit, producing more than a million rookie cards of Ken Griffey Jr.;

B. included two fake autographs on a quad auto from 2005 SP Legendary cuts, said card thought to be a rare, one-of-a-kind collectible;

... [and the below is added as people post]

C. failed to include Tiger Woods "ARP" autos /10 in their 2008 Exquisite packs even though it was a main selling point of the product;

D. released 2009 UD Black football;

E. Released 2009 SP Signature;

F. Again, released 2009 UD Black Football;

G. Secretly funded, and maintained de facto control of, Razor Collectibles, in an attempt to drive other competitors out of the market but without acknowledging the relationship to rank-and-file collectors;

H. Counterfeited over 600,000 gaming cards and have admitted to such. It has also been testified that they had future plans of further counterfeiting;

I. Reprinted 1991 French Hockey when Fedorov Rookies were over $500 each;

J. Released "Comic Ball" trading cards;

K. Rumored to have held back 2008 SP Authentic Rashard Mendenhall RPAs to enhance demand. Cases were rumored to have been sold directly to D&A Cardworld;

L. Released 09/10 Exquisite Basketball 1 month after 08/09, killing the value of 08/09 Exquisite;

M. offering lackluster, at best, "customer service";

N. Using redemptions from one product to replace damaged or missing cards in another, thus depleting the stock for those with redemption cards;

O. Pre-releasing a long, exciting list of the persons on the Mystery Cuts a couple of months before the product shipped....then about a week or so before release scrubbed the entire list and later released a list of dead people no one ever heard of;

P. Deliberately but secretly providing Beckett Media with a "hot box" of 2007 Exquisite football, in attempt to garner enthusiasm about the product by having pull huge hits for all collectors to see;

Q. Advertised the Iconic Cuts Mystery Cuts Redemption program in which a web site would be set up where, on a first come first served basis, collectors could pick a Cut based on the order redeemed, and then reneged on said promise after collectors had already purchased, opened and attempted to redeem the product;

Apparently UD won the lawsuit.

And Upper Deck settled the suit for an amount that will likely never see the light of day (I'm sure the agreement includes a confidentiality clause). I'd imagine they let themselves get taken to the woodshed to avoid the public trial.

Back