Unlicensed Card Companies

ChiPhil

Bench Warmer
What is the general consensus on Leaf, Panini, etc.?
The unlicensed releases certainly have their drawbacks (no logos for one) but some cards look pretty nice.
What stands out the most is that autographed cards (especially from young prospects) seem markedly cheaper when featured on an unlicensed product.
But when I'm purchasing an autograph, all I want is proof that it's legit. And the fact that it is part of an official release from a card company is good enough to legitimize.
Does anyone stay away from these unlicensed cards as a rule? Am I crazy to think these are amazing deals?

Press Pass does the same with the "Rookie Class" in football. I hate the no logo look... and while the cards are "hot" when they are first released, within a month nobody wants them.

I say... do it right or don't do it at all!

I'm not concerned if the cards are not licensed, value-wise, but sometimes they can be hard to price.

In the late 90's Collector's Edge had licensing issues, along with other problems, and it's tough finding listings for some sets/years. It took me ten years to find out the values on some of mine, and there are still some I can't find info on lol

Back