UFC 108

hector234

Bench Warmer
So this might be one of the most cursed fight cards in mma history, and after all the injuries and what not, this is still a pretty solid card. I will go ahead and break down each of the main fights and give MY opinion on who will win.

Junios Dos Santos vs Gilber Yvel

Yvel's first fight in the UFC, he is a mma vet and is well known by the hardcore MMA community. He has good kicks and knees, and has a nice ground game, my only problem with Yvel is he can bring it one fight, and look out of it at times the next. Dos Santos is coming off a huge win against Cro Cop, and did have a nasty KO of Werdum. Both guys are pretty even, but I will say Dos Santos keeps riding the wide of success.

Joe Lauzon vs Sam Stout

This is an awesome fight at 155. I really like both of these guys. Lauzon has greatly improved in each of his fights, especially his stand up. Stout is a great striker, and is has had some great battles, especially against Spencer Fisher. I think Lauzon's solid ground game gives him an edge, but don't be shocked if this turns into a kick boxing match, which might favor Stout. I'll still take Lauzon though to win this.

Dustin Hazelett vs Paul Daley

Hazelett has a good ground game, and has had some tough losses in his career. Coming off a loss, he really needs to bounce back. Paul Daley is one tough customer, and is coming off a HUGE win over Martin Kampmann. I think he makes it 2-0 in the UFC with a win here over Hazelett.

Thiago Silva vs Rashad Evans

This should be a great fight, both guys like to stand up and trade, and have good ground games to compliment their striking. Thiago has shown he has KO power, coming off a 1st round KO of Jardine. Though he may not be as techincally sound in his striking as Evans, he is just as dangerous. He has a great jiu jitsu game, though it's never really been shown, he hasn't submitted anyone, but he has vicious ground and pound. Rashad is coming off a nasty loss to Machida. He has improved A LOT in his striking since he was on TUF. He doesn't really use his wrestling as much anymore, and it will be interesting to see if he decides to go to that against Silva. I really like both guys, and think both can KO each other easily. I don't see this going to a decision. I will have to go with Rashad though. Thiago's brawler style of striking tends to leave openings, and that could really spell trouble against a guy like Rashad.

Rashad-Evans-and-Thiago-Silva.jpg

Gonna be a good one. Hopefully I'm home from the game in time to catch a live stream of the fights.

whatwild said:
WoW.
I dont know if you got to see it but it def. was crazy

Rashad fought a smart fight, but it was a boring fight. All he did was hug Silva and hold him. I did like how Thiago was taunting Rashad in the last round and almost KO'd him

I actually called all these right. Except the Lauzon fight, but I did say if it turned into a kickboxing match, Stout would be favored and thats what happened

Steve_O_21 said:
Rashad-Evans-and-Thiago-Silva.jpg

Gonna be a good one. Hopefully I'm home from the game in time to catch a live stream of the fights.

just passing threw drunkard but what a awsome pic that is... picture the rest in black w/ a gold sig of the two and a silver sig above of white (would have called the names) ... would be sick imo...

cowboyzqna said:
just passing threw drunkard but what a awsome pic that is... picture the rest in black w/ a gold sig of the two and a silver sig above of white (would have called the names) ... would be sick imo...

Definitely agree with you there. That would be extremely cool

Gotta say, Sam Stout looked absolutely amazing. I've always liked watching him fight because he is just one of those guys that's going to give everything he has no matter how the fight's going. He really won me over even more with this fight. The dude looked like he could've gone another 2 rounds no problem.

Steve_O_21 said:
Definitely agree with you there. That would be extremely cool

Gotta say, Sam Stout looked absolutely amazing. I've always liked watching him fight because he is just one of those guys that's going to give everything he has no matter how the fight's going. He really won me over even more with this fight. The dude looked like he could've gone another 2 rounds no problem.

Stout was on that night, his striking and takedown defense was great. Lauzon's confidence pretty much went down the drain once he couldn't take him down.

hector234 said:
Stout was on that night, his striking and takedown defense was great. Lauzon's confidence pretty much went down the drain once he couldn't take him down.

the long layoff may have played a small role in Lauzon's performance too, but I refuse to take anything away from just how great Stout's performance was. Simply great.

The entire card was really good, other than the main event. Rashad fought like he was scared to lose again. By far, the most boring fight of the night. I was really hoping Thiago would KO Rashad in that 3rd round, but he just didn't have the energy to keep throwing the hands.

Steve_O_21 said:
the long layoff may have played a small role in Lauzon's performance too, but I refuse to take anything away from just how great Stout's performance was. Simply great.

The entire card was really good, other than the main event. Rashad fought like he was scared to lose again. By far, the most boring fight of the night. I was really hoping Thiago would KO Rashad in that 3rd round, but he just didn't have the energy to keep throwing the hands.

Rashad went into wrestler mode. All he did was hug Thiago. I think if Thiago concentrated on his cardio, he would be a lot better

Back