Football Udeze retires, ends comeback from leukemia

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Minnesota Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze has decided to retire, ending a remarkable comeback from leukemia.

The Vikings announced Thursday that Udeze has been placed on the reserve/retired list. Minnesota's first-round draft pick in 2004, Udeze was a starter for four years and tied for the team lead with five sacks in 2007.

He was diagnosed in February 2008 with the disease, which is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow. Udeze spent last season on the reserve/non-football-illness list while dealing with his condition.

After a marrow transplant more than a year ago, Udeze was on the field for practices throughout this spring and summer. He said at minicamp in May he was "feeling pretty good" but acknowledged the challenge of the comeback.

In a statement released Thursday, Udeze said his leukemia is still in remission.

"... I am well. Unfortunately, however, I have decided to retire due to certain side effects from my pre-transplant treatment. I would like to thank the Wilf family and the Minnesota Vikings organization for their support. I would also like to thank my fans, friends and family for supporting me through everything. Last but not least, I would like to thank all of the medical professionals and staff in Minnesota who worked tirelessly to give me a second chance at life. God bless."

Back