Football The Big Question Of The Day!!!!!!!

Rukkus said:
When their are only 50 cards made it is very hard to come up with a "market value" if someone puts up a limited #'d card they do so pricing it thinking it will sell. I dont know how you can call it a $120 card when I have only seen 1 other of it's kind (listed $250). Oh and one important thing. Beckett (which I think we can all agree on is standard for "BV") says explicitly that their numbers (Dollar amounts) come from the market value. This means that cards exactly like or similiar to the one you are talking about are going for $250 ON THE OPEN MARKET. I would be happy to scan the Beckett explanation on how they come up with prices just lmk. Or just listen to Autonut1 he made a great point!
BTW Tazmatt very good points!

dude you really don't understand...

if some guy decided to list the vince young cedric benson for $250, and NO ONE BOUGHT IT...it doesn't count!

i could take a trent green base card and list it for a BIN 1,000..that doesn't mean its worth that much..its just my highly overpriced price. You can determine the cards value by looking in COMPLETED listings on ebay.

at the time, one had ended in completed listings for $120, so you can base your price off of that. not off of some overpriced sellers price that no one bought.

btw, if a young benson ultimate dual auto /10 sold for $160, i think a young benson elite auto /50 selling for $120 is a pretty fair price.

Rukkus said:
I respect your opinion but don't agree with it fully. Too almost discount Beckett fully is your choice but not an educated one. Beckett has been around much longer than ebay and i beleive they know what they are talking about. As for your card, sure limited runs on a card will be worth much more to some people. If your card has a print of 50 say there is only one up on ebay once every 2-3 months of course it may get a lot more attention and go for a lot higher. Thats when Beckett, Tough Stuff etc come in...to present a sort of "means". I would say to you this, find a card on ebay watch it 5 times and come up with your own answers. I'm not saying Beckett is the end all be all nor ebay but they SHOULD be tools in coming up with what we use for our $$ value.If you still think this is cut and dry your short changing yourself and narrow minded.

Hmm...no need to get heated and attempt a personal attack and/or name calling......to which your comments are borderline.

As for my "education" in this so called hobby..I've been collecting since 1981....26+ years. Over that time I've assembled some the largest, most complete single player collections in both baseball and basketball. Which only attests to my time in the hobby and the detailed buying/selling I have done.

Dating back to as early as 1997, I was in daily contact with a member of the "Beckett pricing team"...as I eluded to earlier. So I do have first hand knowledge of EXACTLY how their "pricing" information is compiled....or I should say their lack of pricing information.

Now, anyone can believe in what they want to..and follow which ever ****od they want. Try to respect their opinions, though the differ from yours, without the hostile nature of your comments.

Let's put it this way.....

I prefer to have up to date, accurate, "recently ended" completed auctions to GAUGE the price of my items by.....rather that a periodical that is released once a month (seldom ever on time), that hardly ever shows the true nature of the constantly fluxuating secondary market.

Example:

Ryan Braun (Mil. Brewers) is HOT right now.....Eaby prices will refelct this.

Does Beckett? Absolutely not. And probably won't for atleast another, maybe 2 issues.

Of course that helps the savvy buyer....who want to throw down his Beckett when trying to buy the current hottest players....lol we've all seen them at shows with their becketts in their back pockets.

And of course using Ebay prices would hinder the buyer but help the seller.

So really, what you have is a matter of which side of the fence do you stand on.

It's typically the buyers who rant and rave about people using the Ebay for pricing. You'll hardly ever hear a seller complain about getting the most he can get from a card.

3000HitClubCollector said:
Hmm...no need to get heated and attempt a personal attack and/or name calling......to which your comments are borderline.

As for my "education" in this so called hobby..I've been collecting since 1981....26+ years. Over that time I've assembled some the largest, most complete single player collections in both baseball and basketball. Which only attests to my time in the hobby and the detailed buying/selling I have done.

Dating back to as early as 1997, I was in daily contact with a member of the "Beckett pricing team"...as I eluded to earlier. So I do have first hand knowledge of EXACTLY how their "pricing" information is compiled....or I should say their lack of pricing information.

Now, anyone can believe in what they want to..and follow which ever ****od they want. Try to respect their opinions, though the differ from yours, without the hostile nature of your comments.

Let's put it this way.....

I prefer to have up to date, accurate, "recently ended" completed auctions to GAUGE the price of my items by.....rather that a periodical that is released once a month (seldom ever on time), that hardly ever shows the true nature of the constantly fluxuating secondary market.

Example:

Ryan Braun (Mil. Brewers) is HOT right now.....Eaby prices will refelct this.

Does Beckett? Absolutely not. And probably won't for atleast another, maybe 2 issues.

Of course that helps the savvy buyer....who want to throw down his Beckett when trying to buy the current hottest players....lol we've all seen them at shows with their becketts in their back pockets.

And of course using Ebay prices would hinder the buyer but help the seller.

So really, what you have is a matter of which side of the fence do you stand on.

It's typically the buyers who rant and rave about people using the Ebay for pricing. You'll hardly ever hear a seller complain about getting the most he can get from a card.
Heated? who's heated? I said I respect your opinion how is that border line attacking you? Name calling or attempt at it is crazy for you to say. Your making this to be a lot bigger than it is.. Ya ya you have friends at beckett...some of the best player collections ever...26 years experience...and what ever else you would like claim fame to..the fact of the matter is I know that my ****od works and you say that yours do to. Looks to me that it is a win win situation. I'm done posting on this thread ..I'd hate for you to think I am attacking you any further.

3000HitClubCollector said:
A little trading/selling 101 from someone who's been collecting for over 22 years.

More and more traders/sellers are using Ebay as their price guide. And why shouldn't we? Beckett hardly ever, if ever at all, refelcts the current market.

BUT....I will say that you can't "blindly" go by Ebay value. You have to factor in the player collectors, the set collectors, the fraudulent shill bidders...etc all of which will drive any particular cards prices through the roof....for any amount of reason.

When going by Ebay value...I simple look for the last 5 sold AND...repeat AND...the highest 5 sold. And I can get a rough estimate of what my card is "worth".

Now..

If I have a card that is listed in beckett for $25 but EASILY and consitantly sells on Ebay for $80-$100....why in the world would I trade/sell it for $25? That's ridiculous.....for me. Great for the buyer. But ultimately not how things work....even in a world were everyone is looking for something for nothing.

You're both right..to a point. When selling everyone wants to use Ebay prices...but when buying they try to use Beckett...or some other way to get a great discount. You just have to stick to your guns and use ONE way or the other. It's really pretty simply.

That's the way it goes. I strictly deal by "Ebay value"....as do many others.

The real main point is not to let it bother you. It it what it is. If someone doesn't like my prices for items I have...so be it. They are more than welcome to shop elsewhere. In no way am I going to stress over a few pieces of cardboard.

Just my .02 :)
trust me my man, i see all of your points. i just get tired of people only going by sell value when it benifits them. no one has ever approached me wanting less bv in the trade even though sv is even. its always 100+ bv in thier favor, obviously. when i sell i do use ebay also. my ****od is taking the last 5-10 legit auctions of a certain card, adding them all up, and deviding by the amount of auctions. i think thats about as fair as it gets. on the point of a cards bv being 25 and selling for 80+, i understand the reluctancy of trading it. kind of like when tony romo blew up. i would never expected to get one of his cards at bv, thats why i still have never owned on besides the contenders auto i just happened to have way before he blew up. thanks for your insight.

Rukkus said:
Hi man, good post. I agree with a lot your saying. When I am working on a trade I find a lot of people run to ebay and say "that card isn't worth x amount etc. Then "this is my favorite part" For a good example check my vince young/c benson dual auto bv 250...people say ill give you 80 for it...I say well an hour ago you were going by ebay prices...they say well its up as a buy it now for 250 so it doesnt count. LOL it's crazy man..I just got back into collecting after being out for 10 years and now I remember why I stopped.
thats why i just sold the rest of what i had

all in all if people would find a medium to trade a card at, it would be fine. it just gets old people on the trading forums blatantly trying to take advantage of people. i have hundreds of friends i trade with on these forums who dont have anything to do with what i'm talking about. i also have a few who seem to care about my well being when i am selling for whatever reason i have to until i ask a decent price and the next time i hear from them is when im selling again and the same thing happens. if i wanted that kind of treatment, i'd stick with ebay all of the time.

Back