Football The Big Question Of The Day!!!!!!!

patchautocollectors

Bench Warmer
heres a question for anybody who reads this.

if people wont even pay a little less than ebay prices for a card, what will they pay? i remember when people mainly traded cards that sell well for closer to sell value and the rest for book value. it seems everybody will only TRADE for what a card SELLS for, period! then they arent willing to pay LESS than what a card SELLS for, they wanna pay WAY less! THEN, THEN! they wonder why cards arent worth crap anymore!! thats EXACTLY why i get bored of collecting. i'm not bored, i'm tired of all of the new, super smart EBAY PRICE ONLY traders!!!!!! if anybody wants a steal, bid on them on ebay and hope they dont sell well as, more than likely, i'll end up selling them all on ebay anyways because people on a forum that is supposed to be more PERSONABLE wont pay the price complete strangers i have never met will pay for my cards!!!!!!!!!!

Hi man, good post. I agree with a lot your saying. When I am working on a trade I find a lot of people run to ebay and say "that card isn't worth x amount etc. Then "this is my favorite part" For a good example check my vince young/c benson dual auto bv 250...people say ill give you 80 for it...I say well an hour ago you were going by ebay prices...they say well its up as a buy it now for 250 so it doesnt count. LOL it's crazy man..I just got back into collecting after being out for 10 years and now I remember why I stopped.

A little trading/selling 101 from someone who's been collecting for over 22 years.

More and more traders/sellers are using Ebay as their price guide. And why shouldn't we? Beckett hardly ever, if ever at all, refelcts the current market.

BUT....I will say that you can't "blindly" go by Ebay value. You have to factor in the player collectors, the set collectors, the fraudulent shill bidders...etc all of which will drive any particular cards prices through the roof....for any amount of reason.

When going by Ebay value...I simple look for the last 5 sold AND...repeat AND...the highest 5 sold. And I can get a rough estimate of what my card is "worth".

Now..

If I have a card that is listed in beckett for $25 but EASILY and consitantly sells on Ebay for $80-$100....why in the world would I trade/sell it for $25? That's ridiculous.....for me. Great for the buyer. But ultimately not how things work....even in a world were everyone is looking for something for nothing.

You're both right..to a point. When selling everyone wants to use Ebay prices...but when buying they try to use Beckett...or some other way to get a great discount. You just have to stick to your guns and use ONE way or the other. It's really pretty simply.

That's the way it goes. I strictly deal by "Ebay value"....as do many others.

The real main point is not to let it bother you. It it what it is. If someone doesn't like my prices for items I have...so be it. They are more than welcome to shop elsewhere. In no way am I going to stress over a few pieces of cardboard.

Just my .02 :)

Mostly because they are probably snot nosed kids or pimple faced teens with no money so they want as much out of a product as they can get when they sell and they want to pay out as little as possibly when they buy.

What I personally hate seeing is a lot of sellers on ebay set their prices way too high on both raw and graded cards. They use the high column in beckett for instance on raw cards instead of setting it below the lost column and letting it get bid up if possible- greed or stupidity I dont know.

Then there are sellers who set a BIN of 5-6x (or more) the high column for their BGS9 for instance. I know as a buyer I just keep looking when I see those auctions.

It's not just kids that are greedy in this hobby....the bigger offenders of that are mostly adults. Atleast in my experiences, that's what I see.

Regardless of age, I simply refuse to deal with anyone that isn't decent to deal with.

Then again....I hardly EVER trade anymore because of all of the problems in this so-called hobby. If I have something to sell...10 outta 10 times throw it on Ebay first just to avoid the hassle of hearing "How much?" ..or "Well, I seen it for less"....or any number of other remarks. I'd rather just put it on Ebay and let it sell for whatever it sells for.

3000HitClubCollector said:
A little trading/selling 101 from someone who's been collecting for over 22 years.

More and more traders/sellers are using Ebay as their price guide. And why shouldn't we? Beckett hardly ever, if ever at all, refelcts the current market.

BUT....I will say that you can't "blindly" go by Ebay value. You have to factor in the player collectors, the set collectors, the fraudulent shill bidders...etc all of which will drive any particular cards prices through the roof....for any amount of reason.

When going by Ebay value...I simple look for the last 5 sold AND...repeat AND...the highest 5 sold. And I can get a rough estimate of what my card is "worth".

Now..

If I have a card that is listed in beckett for $25 but EASILY and consitantly sells on Ebay for $80-$100....why in the world would I trade/sell it for $25? That's ridiculous.....for me. Great for the buyer. But ultimately not how things work....even in a world were everyone is looking for something for nothing.

You're both right..to a point. When selling everyone wants to use Ebay prices...but when buying they try to use Beckett...or some other way to get a great discount. You just have to stick to your guns and use ONE way or the other. It's really pretty simply.

That's the way it goes. I strictly deal by "Ebay value"....as do many others.

The real main point is not to let it bother you. It it what it is. If someone doesn't like my prices for items I have...so be it. They are more than welcome to shop elsewhere. In no way am I going to stress over a few pieces of cardboard.

Just my .02 :)

Good point 3000. Something to add on your 101 class....

I look at this hobby like I do the stock market. Each and every player is a stock. I would rate them on kinda the same way (i.e. Ownership,Value,Potential and Management.) Now you can look at this many ways.
For example Ownership,this could be looked at as what kind of choices has an athelete made in the past and will he be looked at as a contributor in the NFL. Does he have off the field problems.
Value is the product you are looking at (i.e. Sage Hit, Bowman Chrome, Sp Authentic and Exquisite.)
Potential ,what kind of a team is your player on? Does it fit there play style. Is he a RB backing up an 11 year vet ready to take over his 2nd year and his RC's are really cheap now so buy low!
Management, how does the player handles himself is he fan friendly is he a team player etc.
These are all factors I look at before I invest in a player. Sure I buy what is hot but those cards are not necessarily for me, I would much rather turn around and sell them. Anyway I'm not sure if a lot of this makes sense because I have had one too many cervesa today...but hopefully y'all get the jist. Peace to all!

~Jonathan

Rukkus said:
Hi man, good post. I agree with a lot your saying. When I am working on a trade I find a lot of people run to ebay and say "that card isn't worth x amount etc. Then "this is my favorite part" For a good example check my vince young/c benson dual auto bv 250...people say ill give you 80 for it...I say well an hour ago you were going by ebay prices...they say well its up as a buy it now for 250 so it doesnt count. LOL it's crazy man..I just got back into collecting after being out for 10 years and now I remember why I stopped.

hold on now..

i remember trying to work a deal with this card.

in collecting, fair is fair. you can go by ebay prices if the card consistently sells that much.

what i hate is collectors who ask WAY too much for the card the are trying to move..its really insulting when they are trying to move a $120 card for $250.

also, what in the world does it matter if some guy set up an auction at $250. No one bid on it. so please tell me why that matters.

I think this is all about choice. A seller has the right to RESPECTFULLY ask any price he wants, because he does have the card in his possession. Likewise, a buyer can counteroffer/pass on the deal/or pay the price and this should also be done RESPECTFULLY. If someone wants to pay 5x a declared value for a card, then so be it. It's there money, we didn't work for that money. If not they can pass on the deal or whatever. It's callled supply and demand. But this is just my .02

hornsfan92 said:
hold on now..

i remember trying to work a deal with this card.

in collecting, fair is fair. you can go by ebay prices if the card consistently sells that much.

what i hate is collectors who ask WAY too much for the card the are trying to move..its really insulting when they are trying to move a $120 card for $250.

also, what in the world does it matter if some guy set up an auction at $250. No one bid on it. so please tell me why that matters.

When their are only 50 cards made it is very hard to come up with a "market value" if someone puts up a limited #'d card they do so pricing it thinking it will sell. I dont know how you can call it a $120 card when I have only seen 1 other of it's kind (listed $250). Oh and one important thing. Beckett (which I think we can all agree on is standard for "BV") says explicitly that their numbers (Dollar amounts) come from the market value. This means that cards exactly like or similiar to the one you are talking about are going for $250 ON THE OPEN MARKET. I would be happy to scan the Beckett explanation on how they come up with prices just lmk. Or just listen to Autonut1 he made a great point!
BTW Tazmatt very good points!

Rukkus said:
When their are only 50 cards made it is very hard to come up with a "market value" if someone puts up a limited #'d card they do so pricing it thinking it will sell. I dont know how you can call it a $120 card when I have only seen 1 other of it's kind (listed $250). Oh and one important thing. Beckett (which I think we can all agree on is standard for "BV" ) says explicitly that their numbers (Dollar amounts) come from the market value. This means that cards exactly like or similiar to the one you are talking about are going for $250 ON THE OPEN MARKET. I would be happy to scan the Beckett explanation on how they come up with prices just lmk. Or just listen to Autonut1 he made a great point!
BTW Tazmatt very good points!

I, as many will, disagree with that statement. Beckett USED to be the standard for "BV"....Ebay is now the standard. Beckett "claims" they get their price from multiple "secondary market sources"....but what you fail to acknowledge are these tidbits..1) Who's to say those charged with gathering secondary market info are actually doing their job? (I know first hand MANY who don't). 2) Beckett's so-called secondary market info is gathered when? And then how long until it is printed? See where I'm going? By the time Becket prints out their "info", the market, most every time, has already swung in another direction.

Ebay is an up-to-the-minute source for tracking the ever so fluxuating seconday market.

Major exapmle for me...When I had my Delmon Young BCDP Gold Refractor autos /50...Beckett said they were worth $800 raw..yet they consistantly...month after month, after month....sold for $1000-$1200. Did Beckett see this trend on Ebay and make the necessary changes to their "price guide"? Absolutely not. So..should I have sold them for $800? lol Not a chance. I went by....as I should have..the most current pricing source I had available to me...Ebay.

It's really a cut a dry argument. Beckett is good for some light bathroom reading..while true pricing comes from Ebay.

3000HitClubCollector said:
I, as many will, disagree with that statement. Beckett USED to be the standard for "BV"....Ebay is now the standard. Beckett "claims" they get their price from multiple "secondary market sources"....but what you fail to acknowledge are these tidbits..1) Who's to say those charged with gathering secondary market info are actually doing their job? (I know first hand MANY who don't). 2) Beckett's so-called secondary market info is gathered when? And then how long until it is printed? See where I'm going? By the time Becket prints out their "info", the market, most every time, has already swung in another direction.

Ebay is an up-to-the-minute source for tracking the ever so fluxuating seconday market.

Major exapmle for me...When I had my Delmon Young BCDP Gold Refractor autos /50...Beckett said they were worth $800 raw..yet they consistantly...month after month, after month....sold for $1000-$1200. Did Beckett see this trend on Ebay and make the necessary changes to their "price guide"? Absolutely not. So..should I have sold them for $800? lol Not a chance. I went by....as I should have..the most current pricing source I had available to me...Ebay.

It's really a cut a dry argument. Beckett is good for some light bathroom reading..while true pricing comes from Ebay.
I respect your opinion but don't agree with it fully. Too almost discount Beckett fully is your choice but not an educated one. Beckett has been around much longer than ebay and i beleive they know what they are talking about. As for your card, sure limited runs on a card will be worth much more to some people. If your card has a print of 50 say there is only one up on ebay once every 2-3 months of course it may get a lot more attention and go for a lot higher. Thats when Beckett, Tough Stuff etc come in...to present a sort of "means". I would say to you this, find a card on ebay watch it 5 times and come up with your own answers. I'm not saying Beckett is the end all be all nor ebay but they SHOULD be tools in coming up with what we use for our $$ value.If you still think this is cut and dry your short changing yourself and narrow minded.

yes it is hard to sell cards no days but then again Ive been collecting again for about a year almost now after my entire collection was lost but about setting at a higher pice I have to because I have to start m aking something to be able to sell at a lower price because you cant get nothing when you sell for nothing like if the card books at 30 I want to get 15 2 dollars for dc and bubble mailers/penny sleeves my time and top loaders plus the 13 for the card if people think thats unfair they have problems because It would be half the book on a nice card if its a cheaper card insert/base ?? who cares they dont sell and probly never will anymore unless someone collects them

Back