Thank you Atlanta Braves for participating in the 2008 MLB season

I think they bowed out of trying to win about 3 years ago.

EDIT - Nevermind the rest. Kotchman is locked up for 3 more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who thinks this was a stupid move, is an idiot...

From what I've read online, 96% of Braves fans are idiots. Considering what the Braves gave up to get Tex and what they are getting in return, not a good investment. A decent 1B and a 25 year old AA pitcher. Not saying this trade was bad for them, the whole Tex thing was a nightmare though.

From what I've read online, 96% of Braves fans are idiots. Considering what the Braves gave up to get Tex and what they are getting in return, not a good investment. A decent 1B and a 25 year old AA pitcher.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, and Matt Harrison for Casey Kotchman and Steve Marek

End result of the Tex rental

Braves did what they felt they had to do, and Kotchman should be a very solid player for years to come. I don't fault the Braves in this situation, as Texeira's potential asking price next year cost them some leverage in making a deal. They won't have to worry about what picks they'll get as compensation, and paying them 1st round dollars, opting for more MLB-ready instead.

You are looking at this the wrong way...

You can't compare what we gave up for him and what we got for him becuase we got him for a year and a half (ended up being only a year) and the Angels get him for 2 months. The Braves would be stupid to pay Tex $20 Mil a season (twice what Chipper makes). We have about $50 Mil to spend this off season so I'm not worried about a thing.

We got a cheap, decent 1B for the next 3 years or so, until Freddy Freeman is ready (currently in Low A). Plus we got a good pitching prospect who throws hard (I think he is currently in AA).

You can't consider Tex an "investment". It was a win now deal that didn;t work because of injuries. We knew it was a win it or trade him this year. We had no plans of resigning him at $20 million a season. The Braves don't work like that.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, and Matt Harrison for Casey Kotchman and Steve Marek

End result of the Tex rental

Braves did what they felt they had to do, and Kotchman should be a very solid player for years to come. I don't fault the Braves in this situation, as Texeira's potential asking price next year cost them some leverage in making a deal. They won't have to worry about what picks they'll get as compensation, and paying them 1st round dollars, opting for more MLB-ready instead.

that about sums it up. Could have at least got 1 solid prospect instead of 2 blah players.

that about sums it up. Could have at least got 1 solid prospect instead of 2 blah players.
I take it that you don't watch the Angels much... :salut:

Kotchman is very good defensively, has an above average bat, is young, cheap and we have the rights to him for 3 more years. We just need to find power in another position in the off season (hopefully Jason Bay as a FA). Better to get something rather than nothing. We needed a 1B once we traded Tex or lost him in the off season. There wouldn't be any cheap/good 1Bs in this years FA pool. Our next guy in line in our own system is Freeman who is still in Low A. The Diamondbacks said no to trading Conner Jackson, so we went with our next best choice, Kotchman.

The more I think about it, the more I like this trade.

With the FA $$ coming available in the off-season, you have to think they are going to make a run at Sheets as well.

It's as good a deal as could be expected for a player who's under contract for only 2 more months. Kotchman is far more valuable than the 2 draft picks the Braves would've gotten.

Hopefully Hudson won't require Tommy John surgery and we add another ace in the offseason.

Back