Sell or keep? - 90's basketball and baseball cards

korusa

Bench Warmer
I have several shoe boxes of 90's basketball and baseball cards (mostly rookie cards). I never kept any of the 0.05 cards. I sold all of them on eBay back in late 90's. All of my cards are in mint condition and most of them are probably in the 0.50 to 1.00 range in value. Some examples of cards I have would be Shaquille O'Neal rookie card, Derek Jeter rookie card, etc. All of these cards that are worth a dollar now, should I keep them for 20 more years or just get rid of them now? With so many of these cards printed back in the 90's, would the value of these cards even go up during the next 10+ years?

Here is a thought...

With everyone thinking that the 90s assortment are worthless (and at this point most are!)... what happens if everyone begins to trash them?

In ten years from now the number of cards go from (as an example) one million produced to only a few hundred on the open market?

Can you imagine how crazy it would get if you kept a "nobody" card from 1995, and find out it's only one of five known?

I know... crazy thinking... but who knows?

I have always operated under the assumption of holding onto them is better than throwing them away, but I think that stems from my father getting really lucky and keeping an old Bobby Hull card that ended up getting him a good couple thousand dollars. Oh well, if I have the space I just go ahead and keep everything...who knows what one day might bring, especially if what you say happens.

The only bad thing is the condition you're keeping them in. I have a bunch of boxes of cards sitting in a closet. Mostly 80's and 90's baseball and basketball. There is some late 70's mixed in there. Bad thing is I didn't keep them well protected and most of them have bent corners and some blemishes. I just keep them I think because I'm sort of a hoarder.

Back