Football Revis returns, adds big piece to Jets? Super Bowl puzzle

bjtheman1

Bench Warmer
Revis returns, adds big piece to Jets’ Super Bowl puzzle

FLORHAM PARK, N.J.—Sounding more relieved than exuberant, Darrelle Revis(notes) returned to the Jets on Monday, ending a 36-day holdout by signing a four-year, $46 million contract with $32 million guaranteed.

"This was a long process," Revis said at the Jets' practice facility. "It was rough on me. I'm a football player, and I love to play the game. I'm happy it's over with."

Revis' holdout did not end a moment too soon. The Jets face three of the league's top wide receivers to start the season—the Ravens' Anquan Boldin(notes) in Week 1, the Patriots' Randy Moss(notes) in Week 2 and the Dolphins' Brandon Marshall(notes) in Week 3. With their All-Pro cornerback on the field, the Jets have a better chance of having a successful September.

"It makes our job a lot easier," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Monday. "We're better coaches now. Everybody's got a piece of that puzzle—Darrelle's just happens to be much larger. He allows us to do things on defense that we probably couldn't do if he wasn't with us."

Revis' ability to neutralize the NFL's best receivers man-to-man allows Ryan to call more blitzes and to take other chances without the fear of giving up big plays.

"When you have a guy like Darrelle, you can put him on a guy and act as if that guy doesn't exist," Jets inside linebacker Bart Scott(notes) said. "I don't even look toward that side; I can go do something else."

The Ravens signed veteran receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh(notes) on Monday, but Revis figures to spend most of next Monday night shadowing Boldin. To shorten his prep time, Revis said he has been studying Boldin's game tapes for weeks.

"I'm always trying to be the best," Revis said. "I'm always trying to study. I always prepare myself."

Revis' teammates had different opinions on how much Revis would be impacted in Week 1 after missing all of training camp and the preseason games.

"It'll be tough," Scott said. "It'll be key for us to get off the field on third down, keep his numbers down. I'm sure he's been working out and getting in tremendous shape, but nothing like football shape. Sometimes it takes a couple of games to get where you need to be."

Outside linebacker Jason Taylor(notes), however, expects Revis to play at his Pro Bowl level immediately.

"I'm sure he prepared himself when he was gone," Taylor said Monday. "He'll be fine. He's the best corner in the league."

When Revis walked into the locker room Monday, there were no visible signs of resentment.

"Nobody took it personally," Scott said. "We understand it's the business side of football. At some point, every player has to deal with those situations."

Revis was relieved by the warm reception.

"I didn't know how my teammates were going to accept me," Revis said. "I wasn't there for training camp. I've been on the news every other day. I'm sure they were tired of hearing my name."

Almost certainly. But they sure were glad to see Revis' face Monday.

Back