Basketball Precious Metal Gems

cardjim

Bench Warmer
Have you guys noticed the incredible prices these old inserts have been bringing lately? What used to be just a ho hum unnumbered insert card has now turned into one of the most sought after collectibles in the hobby.
Well, Upper Deck and Pannini have taken notice as well and have included similar items in their latest releases. Since Upper Deck owns the Fleer brand they have no trouble at all bringing the Gems back in 2012 Upper Deck Fleer Retro. Pannini had to disguise their release in their latest Totally Certified issue.
Well, sure enough, collectors have gone nuts over these new inserts and prices reflect it. Finally, a Jordan surfaced:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-12-Upp...96193201?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item51a1295bb1
Yikes!! That is a lot of dough.
Keep an eye on these releases. I bet we see prices continue to climb. Did you buy any of these packs? Would you take a chance on some of the lesser players thinking they may go up in value? Let us know. I would be interested in others opinions on this.

I watched a few box break videos of this product yeaterday, and they pulled a red /150, and a green /10 out of the same box (see video link below). Very sharp looking cards, and I think they will continue fetching high prices for those working on a set. I mainly only follow hockey, but there is still a huge demand for older tougher odds inserts from the 90's. At one time we must remember that the inserts were the hits, and the tough pack odds make them still highly collectible. Maybe, and I say this with a question mark, collectors are getting tired of the same old game used cards, and repetitive autos that have flooded the market, and are looking for the next cool thing to collect, like these Metal cards?

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62pAQsgiTbY&list=UUmnp-WxsWlhdGZ_lforMX4g&index=24&feature=plcp

This is an interesting concept. I would have never thought these inserts would amount to anything. I have always tossed the insert in the trash. Another one of those things I can regret for a lifetime.

Haha. Yeah same here. That's pretty crazy. I wonder if that value will hold. The Jordan one going for over 2 grand is pretty nice. Wouldn't mind having that.

Back