Poll: Has the value of the card been destroyed?

Does the value of a race-used/game-used card go down when autographed in person?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on the person (explain in comments please)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Well, here you go... a 1 of 1 that was "autographed in person".

Does not matter which sport, the question is:

If you take a race-used/game-used card (and it does not matter if it is a 1 of 1, #/99, #/399, etc) and have it autographed in person, does the value of the card go up or down?

Tell us, would you purchase the 1 of 1 (or any other "numbered" version) if it was signed in person versus pack pulled?

Vote and let your voice be heard!

Not sure about the rest of the sports, but in NASCAR a non-autographed BASE card that is autographed in person, will usually bring a few extra dollars, but the autograph does not increase the value for resale or trade. (i.e., let's say you have a Jimmie Johnson base card that you get autographed in person. Resale might be $5.00 - $10.00 depending on the area and how bad the buyer wants the card, but a pack pulled autograph will easily sell for $100.00).

I stay away from race-used and inserts that are autographed in person. To me it hurts the value of the card.

Why take a 1 of 1 that might sell for $150.00 and have it autographed? You have "destroyed" the card (in my opinion) and now it is basically worthless.

And when it comes to base cards that are autographed in person or through the mail, unless I see the person actually sign the card, to me it's "fake". Worthless.

I'm a lot less likely to buy any card which has an in person autograph. I prefer to collect cards as they were issued in their original form. That's just how I collect.

Now, I do a lot of TTM autograph requesting...but that is a side hobby of mine that I enjoy. I honestly doubt I would get much if I tried to sell them. The provenance is just not good on the auto.

I think if you have an in person auto on a game used card or something with a numbered print run...you really reduce the number of buyers that card would bring...even though it might bring a few extra dollars IF it sells.

I will admit though...I did leave one thing out of my original reply. I would purchase a in person signed card of a vintage player...someone who has passed away. For example, if I came across a nice autographed 1966 Topps Roger Maris I'd be interested. However, I would only buy such a card if its authenticity was certified by a credible third party (someone like PSA/DNA).

In this case, obviously such a card would be worth a lot more than the card alone.

Back