Panini got an exclusive with the NFL

that could be a good thing... does that mean NO more Press Pass?
If you ask me its the worst thing that could happen to the sports card industry and its future. Look what they have done to NBA cards since 2010. Panini is nothing more than a bottom line company, they will ram the crap down your throat and laugh all the way to the bank. If you want NFL cards you have to buy it too, just like NBA. I know I wont touch NFL cards come 2016 just like NBA cards now.

Same thing happened in hockey, but the shoe was onthe other foot, and Upper Deck got an exclusive contract, which is just awful. When companies have no competition from others in the industry, they can just put out any crap they want, and you are stuck with it. That was an NHL decision, so it's hard to take it out on uD, but I assume the NFL is to blame from this? Sooner, or later collectors are gonna say screw you, and stop supporting these dumb decisions by the professional sports leagues. Nothing but pure greed, and controlling issues here. I don't support any of them any more with box purchases.

No more anyone except Panini from the way I understood it.
Not quite...normally with this kind of thing, the exclusive company gets the right NFL rights and logos. Meaning, other companies can't use anything NFL specific. This is why Upper Deck products have all been college the last few years. You can't pull a Peyton Manning Denver card in UD anymore...but you can in a Tennessee uniform.

that could be a good thing... does that mean NO more Press Pass?

Press Pass will continue to exist because they didn't have an agreement with the NFLPA anyways. The only company that really is affected by this is Topps, because they'll lose their NFL license when the 2016 season rolls around.

Press Pass will continue to exist because they didn't have an agreement with the NFLPA anyways. The only company that really is affected by this is Topps, because they'll lose their NFL license when the 2016 season rolls around.
It's true...and with it might go one of the best modern football products out there. Topps Chrome. I'm sure they will still do something with it, but it won't be the same.

Topps told SportsCardNews today that they will still be looking to produce football cards, so I'm sure Chrome will still be around. Like SPx and SP Authentic, and like you say, they definitely won't be the same anymore.

Topps told SportsCardNews today that they will still be looking to produce football cards, so I'm sure Chrome will still be around.
I have no doubt the products will still be around...they will just be vastly different. I would imagine they will either have no logos (like Topps back in the day) and no team names. Or, they might follow UD and do college uniforms.

I'd love to see UD get their license back to produce baseball cards again. I don't like Panini for baseball or any cards that doesn't have logos or pro unis. Panini can have football for all I care.

Back