Football Packers' Rodgers: Offseason surgery possible

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said having offseason surgery on his right shoulder is a possibility.

"We'll take a look at that after the season, probably," Rodgers said.

Rodgers played several games with a painful shoulder sprain, suffered Sept. 28 against the Buccaneers, but did not miss a start.

He said he had not had any MRI exams recently, and was uncertain what, if anything, might be wrong with the shoulder.

"From a physical toughness standpoint, I've always taken pride in being able to play through injuries," Rodgers said in the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "This year, I dealt with some minor injuries and then my shoulder, which was a little bit more of a significant injury. But that's just kind of the way I operate, and I think [it's the way] most guys in the league operate. We all play with pain."

Coach Mike McCarthy said wide receiver James Jones also might need offseason surgery on his recurring knee injury that has not healed completely, although the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Jones said he was not considering surgery at all.

The Packers also are benching right tackle Tony Moll and reshuffling their offensive line for Sunday's finale against Detroit. But McCarthy said the moves shouldn't be interpreted as a sign he's holding tryouts for 2009.

The Packers won't make the playoffs after their disappointing season, but they still want to go out with a win against a Lions team in danger of becoming the first ever in league history to go 0-16.

"We're lining up to win the game," McCarthy said. "We're a young football team. We feel we have a lot of information about all of our players, for the most part. There are some younger players that have not played this year, but that is not our mind-set at all."

But they will be benching Moll, a third-year player who took over at right tackle after veteran Mark Tauscher sustained a season-ending knee injury in the Dec. 7 loss to Houston. And they will shuffle three players: Daryn Colledge will move from left guard to right tackle, Jason Spitz will move from right guard to left guard and rookie Josh Sitton will enter the lineup at right guard.

Moll was agitated by his benching. "It's just another thing that's frustrating," he said. "Yeah, I mean, what can you say? It's just they're trying to figure out a way to win -- moving three guys must be the way."

Back