Pack Searchers - Good Guys or the Bane of the Hobby?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Upper Deck posted this... saw it on several different FB pages and thought I would share it here. Thoughts on Pack Searchers?

I actually had a situation about a year ago while at the LCS. A guy was actually pack searching and checking the thickness of the packs (NASCAR by Press Pass, thank goodness they have the "dummy" cards).

pack searcher.jpg

Kick him out of the store and send this pic to all of the other stores in the chain. Post it in your break room and and the front doors. Take out an ad in the paper and post to humiliate and call him out. He is shop lifting. He is also barefoot. No shirt, no shoes no service!

That guy has no shame. Even if I had low enough morals to do something like that, I'd be too embarrassed to do it in public.

I hate pack searcher's. I think he should have a lifetime ban from target stores all stores. If he walks in he is arrested for trespassing.

I think it's a huge problem for the hobby...and IMHO it is one step below theft. It takes the fun out of the hobby for a lot of people. The worst part is...how many "hot packs" you see for sale online. There is only one way to know they are a hot pack...either they are pack searched or previously opened.

It's a real shame.

Like Peter said, I would be so embarrassed I don't think I could even attempt something like that.

As for what to do...obviously kick him out of the store but it would be almost impossible to do anymore than that. Enforcing a "life time" ban would be near impossible for a major retailer to do. However, one thing I have seen is at my local Target...the cards are in the aisle right next to the checkers...in direct view. It would be impossible for someone to pack search without being seen by the staff. Perhaps Target is getting a little wise too.

The latest HOBBY product by Press Pass, 2014 Redline, DOES NOT have dummy cards... so it's pretty easy to tell which packs have the race-used and which ones have autographs. When the wife and I busted our box she was upset with me that she got the "skinny" pack...

I think pack searchers are terrible people & are just bad for the hobby. If they are caught searching or feeling up the packs they should be removed from the store & asked not to return. It really is sad to me that 40 year olds have to search/feel packs & try to score a $1 GU or Auto that was meant for our youngest collectors. Shame on them all!

Back