Opinion Time, what do you consider the 'darker side' of our hobby?

Fake patches

Major auction houses and card cos. reholdering cards (w/o having them REVIEWED) and their ‘fluffy’/questionable descriptions

Restoring cards and NOT disclosing

Trimming cards

Ebayers who say ‘we don’t grade’, sell you their ‘mint’ raw cards…only to later list the gems. The ‘mint’ raws are usually 8.5s

People who pull case hits, sell boxes off

Authentication cos. who authenticate anything even though they KNOW it’s fake

Grade and trade

When it was a game

people who knowingly sell stolen merchandise

people who get RCRs, slit the slabs open, replace them w/a junky non 9.5 card, sell the RCR

Fake patches

Major auction houses and card cos. reholdering cards (w/o having them REVIEWED) and their ‘fluffy’/questionable descriptions

Restoring cards and NOT disclosing

Trimming cards

Ebayers who say ‘we don’t grade’, sell you their ‘mint’ raw cards…only to later list the gems. The ‘mint’ raws are usually 8.5s

People who pull case hits, sell boxes off

Authentication cos. who authenticate anything even though they KNOW it’s fake

Grade and trade

When it was a game

people who knowingly sell stolen merchandise

people who get RCRs, slit the slabs open, replace them w/a junky non 9.5 card, sell the RCR

Wow I didn't know you could do this!!!

That's it, I'm wiriting a book. Don't you think it would be an interesting read....It's not for kid's anymore.....the dark side of america's hobby.

"High end" has hurt the hobby. I dont even bust what is now considered high end but too many people - noncollectors esp - just busting because they can. I love going to the cardshop with my brother. He just loves cards and hasnt been tainted by what people on a message board think. i know I'm a loser but Topps Total is a fun product to bust.

Hell. Yes. Awesome product!!!! I like how you can build your own team sets and a set actually contains like 15 cards of your favorite team!!!

"High end" has hurt the hobby. I dont even bust what is now considered high end but too many people - noncollectors esp - just busting because they can. I love going to the cardshop with my brother. He just loves cards and hasnt been tainted by what people on a message board think. i know I'm a loser but Topps Total is a fun product to bust.

i agree! bought 2 cases of basketball Topps Total, 436 packs, blew $300+. :doh:

it was fun though :cheers:

There are so many dark sides to the Hobby that if I dwell on it too long it really becomes depressing. I try to concentrate on the positive side as much as is possible. I'm not blind to the bad side as every collector needs to know about the bad stuff in order to not become a victim. I think the Hobby boards do a good job of informing collectors as to what is happening & if your going to collect anything being a member of a group such as ours is a must.

I could get on a long rant about the subject but not today.

Be careful out there.