NFL week 7 thread

And Leinart, who has not shown a lick of ability in this league is enough of an upgrade to change that? A QB away from being good again? You are just flat out homer reaching again.

He has shown a lack of ability? He was never given an honest chance. How has Anderson or Hall shown any more ability then Leinart? The whole thing reminds me of when Brees was getting treated like crap by the Chargers then left and became a great player. Leinart played pretty well his rookie season (considering he was a rookie and the team around him was not that good yet). Then he was playing well the next season before he broke his Cbone. He was a good team mate while in Arizona he never complained or acted up over playing time like some other players do he did what he was told and then they screwed him over. I still think he could be a ok player in the NFL. I am not saying he could be great but he could be alright like Hasselbeck.

It obviously doesn't remind you very well of the Brees situation in San Diego. Brees had a pair of mediocre seasons in San Diego sharing time at QB. The team brought in a new front office and the new GM drafted 1st overall and made the trade for Rivers. Brees then went on to start the next two seasons throwing up 3000+ yards, mid 20's TD's, 65% completions and hovering around 100 in QB rating. He made a Pro Bowl palying in San Diego. He did not get treated poorly by San Diego. They named him the starter 3 out of the 4 seasons he was there and he had enough success to make a Pro Bowl and also have them use the franchise tag to retain him the year after he had this breakout season and even after they'd drafted Rivers. The reason he left San Diego was because he suffered a potentially career ending shoulder injury right before he became a free agent again and San Diego did not want to re-invest in a guy that may not play again and also have a multi-million dollar guy in Rivers sitting in the wings making people question the GM.

Miami brought him in and he could not pass their physical due to the shoulder and New Orleans gave him a shot when no one else was interested.

Yes Leinart was given some solid rookie time where he didn't impress and still had a handful of games each following season, but ultimately he was not showing the organization anything special each subsequent year and losing out to the guys they brought in to back him up. After 4 years in an organization if the QB has not deveoped enough even in a back up role to step in and impress enough in training camps, practices and pre-season to be given the opportunity it says enough to me and obviously to the team. The guy just isn't a capable starter. Why wouldn't the team go with a guy like Anderson who had previously made a Pro Bowl and has shown he is capable of doing it as opposed to a guy who has never shown he can do it. I don't buy the lack of an opportunity story. You spend 4 years with a team you have more than enough chances to impress a coaching staff and your teammates. He's not the only guy in the league like this.

I totally disagree about Brees. He was treated like complete crap by Shottenhiemer. He was named the starter and every time he made a mistake they pulled him and put in that ass clown Doug Floute who would then run around the pocket like a retard and eventually lose the game. I do remember him hurting his shoulder and also remember it was in the last game of the season when they had nothing to gain or lose and him and LT had no business being on the field. We can debate how lame the Chargers are another day though LOL.

As for Anderson he made one Pro Bowl who cares he also could not beat out Brady Quinn for a starting job and has not shown any real promise as a QB in the League. Now I agree Leinart has not shown any either but they should of kept him on the roster in case things did not work out with Anderson or go with Leinart and trade his bitch ass if it did not work out (or cut him later). Bringing in a back-up QB like Anderson and giving him the team with 2 rookies behind him was just stupid.

The NFL is a business. If you can't perform up to par with your wages, then you should get cut.

Let's say you are manager of a sales company that has two salesmen who put up relatively the same profit margin. But one guy is making 3 times as much as the other, has been with the company for 4 years, and has shown little improvement in his numbers. Who would be the first person you would fire?

Unfortunately the NFL has contracts, so if the player does not want to negotiate a lower wage to reflect on input, the team is either forced to swallow their pride or get rid of him. The Cardinals saw enough mediocracy in Leinart where they were willing to put their stock in some rookies than pay out the ass on someone who clearly was not getting it done.

It would be another story if Leinart was making $630K with the Cardinals like he is with the Texans, but that wasn't the case. I don't know the yearly breakdown of his contract with the Cardinals, but it was roughly $8.5 million a year if he finished out the 6 years. In retrospect, here is the average breakdown of the top 10 QBs this year in relation to wages.

Philip Rivers $14 million
Kyle Orton $5.8 million
Drew Brees $10 million
Peyton Manning $15.8 million
Aaron Rodgers $10.8 million
Eli Manning $15.2 million
Donovan Mcnabb $12.75 million
Matt Ryan $11 million
Carson Palmer $19.8
Joe Flacco $2.38 million

I guarantee Leinart would not be in the top 20 QBs, let alone the top 10, so he should not be making more than any of these guys. I would much rather save the money, give the job to someone who will will put up similar stats, and invest the saved money in something else.

I think Arizona was totally unprepared for the retirement of Warner. By bringing in Anderson, someone Whisenhunt obviously had some knowledge of from the AFC days, he thought he was at least getting some QB competition at the position. They had to get someone in the door whether it was to start or to fight Leinart for the QB position. Anderson may have had one anomaly year in the Pro Bowl but you had to think early that the Arizona team still had better weapons than anything he worked with in Cleveland.

Obviously during the offseason they believed Leinart was still in the mix and training camp and preseason changed their minds. I can't believe Arizona would not have been a smarter trading partner and offered the same or better for a guy like McNabb if he was available.

I guess we just disagree on whether he was given a chance to show his merit or not. I think that he completely was given every chance to prove himself. He had the job prior to acquiring Warner. Warner was to be his back up. He was obviously unimpressive enough over the Warner years to the point where the coaches brought a guy in to compete against him rather than flat out back him up and hand him the team. In that brief battle for the starter role he ended up getting cut. My guess would be he showed the exact opposite of what they were looking for. There wasn't a ton of interest in his services after he was cut and I think the Texans grabbed him solely as a developmental QB. He's still third string to Orlovsky 7 weeks later.

Poopy Pants: Very fair point and very well put.

Lumm0x: You are probably right about him and you bring up a good point about Mcnabb. I wish Arizona would of tried and traded for mCnabb or even Mike Vick. Yes I know I have been one of the biggest Vick Haters around her but I understand he is better then Anderson or Leinart and he would of been a good upgrade at the position until they could draft or develop someone for the future.

Back