NEED ADVICE buying baseball card for boyfriend

lissa815

Bench Warmer
Hi,

I know nothing about baseball card collecting, but am looking to buy a gift for my boyfriend and have an idea but need advice. Here's my plan: I want to buy a Roberto Clemente card from 1966. I chose this card because my boyfriend is latin and 1966 is the year he was born. He is an avid baseball fan and while he is not a collector, I thought this would be a thoughtful gift and maybe someday be worth something. So here are my questions.

Questions:
1. What should I be looking for specifically as far as grading? (I would like to buy online so I won't really be able to see the card before I purchase)
2. Is 1966 a good year as far as potential worth in the future? Is there a better year?
3. Should I buy on ebay? Other recommended sites?
4. Which brand cards should I get, ex. Topps?
5. I don't want to get ripped off, so what price ranges should I be seeing for this card?
6. Any other suggestions?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!!!!

there are a lot of variables in your questions.....

I would strongly recommend getting one that is graded (if he cares) to ensure authentication, and that it has not been trimmed/altered.

Depending on the condition you want to buy will drastically change the price.....

For that year PSA is going to be the best grading company (red and white label).

If you want to purchase something that looks nice (for example a PSA 8) you are looking at about $200-$250. Something in a lower grade (worse condition) is going to cost less, and obviously something in better shape is going to cost more (significantly).

Here is an example of a finished auction on Ebay for a PSA 8

ROBERTO CLEMENTE 1966 TOPPS CARD #300 PSA 8 NM-MT - eBay (item 330376758794 end time Nov-22-09 12:24:39 PST)

and if you look at the next auction link, this is a PSA 7 (oc) - the (oc) means that the card is in good enough shape to get a PSA 7, but it is off center - which brings the price down a lot

1966 Topps #300 Bob CLEMENTE (Pirates) PSA 7 oc NM - eBay (item 310182451459 end time Nov-22-09 17:50:24 PST)

I would recommend Ebay for this item, unless you can find it here!

Thanks for the helpful info. Another question, what does the number 300 represent in "1966 Topps #300" before the name of the card? Is this something I should look for as well?

in 1966 Roberto Clemente had a solo card (only him on the card) and a multi-player card. the #300 is the card number for his solo card. The multi-player card is less valuable, but I don't know that card #

I have been looking on ebay and am starting to see the differences in the cards, so thank you for your advice. I noticed a few listings for "1947-66 Exhibits" Roberto Clemente. They are black and white cards. What does "exhibits" mean and as far as worth in the future, is this a better investment?

thanks. :)

That is just a different type of card....and in the long run, no it is NOT a better investment.

I would stick with the 1966 Clemente (#300)

Back