Mid-Season Stock Watch: 2010 NFL Draft Running Backs

sffanmike25

Bench Warmer
2010 NFL Draft Eligible Running Backs
There are so many RB prospects to cover nowadays. If you have anyone you'd like to chat about, please chime in.

Stock up

CJ Spiller, Clemson: Produces every game for the Tigers, utilizing the traits that the scouts are looking for out of him: breakaway speed and elusiveness. With a projected very fast 40 time, he should be a fairly high choice. Only lingering questions were in his ability to carry the load 20+ times a game, and so far he’s held up fine. To begin the season, you could argue that Spiller was with Dwyer and other RB’s lumped in behind Best, but I think he’s right there with Jahvid Best at this point.

Ryan Mathews, Fresno St. (JR*): Saw this guy on one of those ESPN weeknight games against Boise State. Impressive. Saw him a couple of times in 2008 and didn’t think too much of it. I’m not sure about his timed speed, but he looks he’s improved dramatically with some legitimate RB skills. He held up strong against Boise and Wisconsin, who have done pretty well so far this year. He’s moving up quickly at this rate from where he was at the beginning of the season. As for the pro level, he appears decisive with good balance and size (5’11,” 220) when carrying the ball, and can finish a breakaway run.

Toby Gerhart, Stanford: Call this a hunch, but someone is going to want a mean dude like Gerhart in the late 2nd to 3rd rounds. Using the split approach of 2 RB systems in the NFL, this guy is the optimal power back for anyone to soften up teams with. Not just a typical FB that runs over people for fun 2-3 times a game, this is closer to another Alstott-type of RB/FB hybrid who could carry the load next to a Warrick Dunn style back. Very upright runner.

Stock is stable:

Jahvid Best, California (JR*): Up and down play so far from Best. As seen in my Quarterback thread, if you are seen as potentially the top guy, you pretty much have to bring it on a weekly basis or you’ll get mediocre reviews. This is only a minor bump in the road though, Best is still in the hunt for the top RB spot come April. Moreno last year had a setback or two, but scouts didn’t forget about him. Best has played well and has avoided injuries, solving his durability questions for now. Scouts love the big play ability, but he’s coming close to falling into the pack.

Stock is down:

DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma (JR*): Just a bad year for Oklahoma prospects. He has a recurring injury theme, even though his 2nd gear in the open field is top tier. I want to move someone’s stock down instead of being creative with all these categories, so Murray, you’re it for now. If this continues, could be a good value for someone who rolls the dice.

Jonathan Dwyer, GA Tech (JR*): Was high on him to begin the year, but I’m not sure if he has the same burst he did in 2008. Not exactly an impressive start for such a run-friendly offense (stat-wise). He’s played well of late though, for what it’s worth. And questions about the offense he plays in are not really a big deal to me. LT played in the same offense in college, so it’s not like it hasn’t been done in recent memory. He’s making good cutbacks and decisions when he carries the ball, but right now, he’s lost some ground from where he was at the end of 2008.

Stock Recovery (Initial Drop but Regaining Status):

Joe McKnight, USC (JR*): Very highly touted when he arrived at USC, McKnight couldn't get the requisite carries to emerge from the RB rotation. Due to unfortunate circumstances and solid play from McKnight, he's almost matched last year’s total carries already, so scouts will get a good indicator where he’s at now. With the success of specialized “change of pace” running backs like Darren Sproles and Felix Jones, his draft stock isn’t doomed and can be maneuvered upward. A team looking to amp up its offense could target a guy like McKnight. If his stock near a realistic peak in January, he’ll likely go pro.

Good stuff, Mike. Can't disagree with any of it.

I still think Dwyer is the best pure RB in the class, with Best being the most explosive/versatile.

However, RB is a rather weak this year. Spiller, Best, Dwyer are the only guys (right now) who have a shot at the first round. Guys like Mathews and McKnight could jump up there with impressive performances for the rest of the season and at the combine.

I liked Dwyer as well because of the size/speed/production from last season. Looked like a workhorse #1 back (and still does for the most part). Just at not as high of a level so far.

McKnight and Mathews could be the guys that take advantage of the lack of depth in this group, and make themselves some good money in the process.

Unlike the revolving QB list, I think this group of RB's has stayed relatively the same over the remainder of the season. Spiller's stock might even inflate higher if his timed speed is comparable to Chris Johnson, who is having a monster season.

Gerhart has put up big stats and started to pull in national recognition, but I'm still a bit worried about his upright running level. Plus, it's probably a given he won't time that well. Which takes Oakland out of the equation.

Best's freak injury won't help concerns about his durability. I still think he declares and runs strong times.

As for the other RB's, it'll be tough to list them out beyond the first three or four obvious names.

Spiller is fading some, but I am curious what he does with his turf toe. His conditioning is going down because he cannot practice on it, so I could see him try and let it recover in the layoff between now and the bowl so that he can take a couple more weeks off afterward to get ready for the combine. A healthy Spiller will have an amazing 40 time.

Great call on Gerhart, Mike.

Spiller is the best of this class. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a top 15 pick and the only RB taken in the first round.

Back