Mailman Caught Selling Stolen Sports Cards

I am at a lost for words (and anyone who knows me... I am NEVER at a lost for words).

And find this part of the story really confusing...

Bu was interviewed by a special agent with the USPS and admitted to purchasing the sports cards from a person identified as his former supervisor, who was arrested in July 2011 and charged with stealing items from the mail.

So, Bu DID NOT steal the cards... he purchased the cards from someone else who stole them from the mail. Or am I reading the story incorrectly?

So, Bu DID NOT steal the cards... he purchased the cards from someone else who stole them from the mail. Or am I reading the story incorrectly?
That part confused me too...I'm not exactly sure. But, he is charged with "one count of possessing stolen mail" which to mean means he was simply in possession of stolen property...not necessarily that he was the one who stole it.

Either way, I find this particularly disgusting.

What he admitted to doing, and what he actually did, may be two different things. One would expect a thief to come up with some stories about how they came to be in possession of the stolen property.

What he admitted to doing, and what he actually did, may be two different things. One would expect a thief to come up with some stories about how they came to be in possession of the stolen property.
That is true. I would imagine that stealing the mail is quite a serious offense.

This kind of thing makes my blood boil. Some of the things that go through the mail are so rare, valuable, and meaningful and lot of them irreplaceable even if you have insurance. Of course a tiny percentage of things will get lost in the mail, that's just life, but to see somebody do it willingly...

This kind of thing makes my blood boil. Some of the things that go through the mail are so rare, valuable, and meaningful and lot of them irreplaceable even if you have insurance. Of course a tiny percentage of things will get lost in the mail, that's just life, but to see somebody do it willingly...
I understand what you are saying. While I personally think theft in general is about as despicable as it gets...I think this is a little deeper. It's one thing of some criminal breaks into your house and office and robs you...IMHO, it's something else when someone entrusted with your possessions rips you off. I know we don't personally know those who handle our mail (at least not all of them)...but at some level they have been entrusted with our things (our mail). When someone betrays that trust...it makes it much worse. At least, that's how I feel.

Back