Postal Worker Caught Stealing Sports Cards

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
It's sad when anything is stolen from the mail, or anywhere really. It's even more sad when it's the person entrusted to deliver those items who is doing the stealing!

John Bu, who has been working for the USPS since 1999, was arrested and charged with 1 count of possessing stolen mail, which could land him up to 5 years in prison. He was released on bond and will have to return back in court in June.

The story says the mail was stolen from packages that were to be delivered to a "Texas company that evaluates sports cards and provides serial numbers for them". Obviously, since journalism is gone in this country, they didn't post the name of that company. I guess they could have likely asked any collector and realized that "Texas company" is Beckett (BGS Grading).

Among the cards stolen were cards of Mickey Mantle, Magic Johnson, Jerry Rice, and others. Bu ended up selling the cards to an employee of an unnamed store in Westchester for $6,250, so there were some really nice cards in there. That said, I certainly hope the original owner shipped those cards with insurance!

Here's the full story: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rvice-supervisor-stolen-sports-cards/9479757/

Thanks for sharing Mike, Wow, glad I stop getting my cards graded at BGS, or that could've been me. Some of them cards are priceless and would be bummed even if I had insurance on them, some things you just cant replace :(

Thanks for sharing Mike, Wow, glad I stop getting my cards graded at BGS, or that could've been me. Some of them cards are priceless and would be bummed even if I had insurance on them, some things you just cant replace :(

Well, while it could have been anyone the odds aren't very high for this sort of thing to happen. I can't even imagine how many cards are mailed to BGS on a daily basis. My guess would be at least hundreds. This particular mail carrier only stole 14 cards, as far as I know. That said, you are absolutely right that some items just cannot be replaced!

I would guess if you are sending $3000 cash value of cards you would be smart enough to pony up for insurance...

in this day and age, it is much easier to track cards because so much stuff is serial numbered, but its still tracing it through how it got to ebay or whatever...

not shocked something was intercepted on the way to BGS, sounds like the guy got greedy...smart move would be to slit a package open and take one or two things...well not slit it, but make it look like one of the machines took a bite out of the mailer or whatever

Back