Football LSU Quarterback Skips Senior Season To Enter Draft

Archangel

Bench Warmer
LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell to forgo senior season at LSU By MELINDA DESLATTE, Associated Press Writer
January 10, 2007

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell said Wednesday he'll skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.
"It kind of hit me toward the end of the season that I was going to make that jump," Russell said at a news conference.
After a standout performance in the Sugar Bowl last week, the 6-foot-6, 257-pound Russell had been expected to declare early for the draft.
Russell, a native of Mobile, Ala., threw for 6,525 yards and 52 touchdowns in three seasons with LSU, two as a full-time starter. He threw for 332 yards and two TDs in the Sugar Bowl to help the Tigers (11-2) beat Notre Dame 41-14.
Had he stayed, Russell would have been considered a strong Heisman Trophy contender. He also would have been under the oversight of a new offensive coordinator after Jimbo Fisher accepted Florida State's coordinator job.
"We gave him every bit of information that might allow him to choose -- either go or stay," coach Les Miles said.
He said he thought Russell and his family made a good decision and predicted Russell could go as high as No. 1 in the draft.
Russell, who brought his family to the news conference, said he hadn't yet signed with an agent. When asked what his draft preference was, Russell replied, "Whoever picks first and whoever pays the most."
His departure starts a two-man competition to replace him between Matt Flynn, who will be a senior next season, and Ryan Perrilloux, who will be a sophomore. Miles said Flynn had the edge for the job, but he wouldn't decide until after spring practice.
Russell faced a Jan. 15 deadline to declare for the draft.

Possible #1 pick in the draft???? Discuss please.........

But, is it really worth it to give up the final year of your college education??? These days I think money does all the talking. IMO an athlete should have that degree to fall back on should something happen, ie; career ending injury. :(

BSC said:
But, is it really worth it to give up the final year of your college education??? These days I think money does all the talking. IMO an athlete should have that degree to fall back on should something happen, ie; career ending injury. :(

I do agree, however if you aren't really going to do much learning that final year, go for the draft. If you know you are going to go at a descent spot in teh draft, the guaranteed money will be there, heaven forbid anything happen to you and your career be over quickly.

I do not think he will be the number one pick, He will not even be the first quarterback taken. Brady Quinn is an NFL caliber QB and not too many teams are going to hold one or two bad games over an absolutly steller carrer affect that. Alot of teams may be scared to take Russell because of all the Comparisons to Culpepper and the way he has declined the last few years. Granted they are two different people and Russell will be a first Round pick, But don't be surprised if come draft day Russell falls to either 3 or 4 to the cleveland browns.

joshsmith said:
Maybe the lions can ruin him too.

LOL.....yeah the Browns do have a habit of running QB's into the ground........Couch, Frye, Garcia........but somehow they manage to bounce back with other teams........hmmmmmm.......'cept Couch of course ...he just got lazy

panthers4ever said:
I do not think he will be the number one pick, He will not even be the first quarterback taken. Brady Quinn is an NFL caliber QB and not too many teams are going to hold one or two bad games over an absolutly steller carrer affect that. Alot of teams may be scared to take Russell because of all the Comparisons to Culpepper and the way he has declined the last few years. Granted they are two different people and Russell will be a first Round pick, But don't be surprised if come draft day Russell falls to either 3 or 4 to the cleveland browns.

Honestly I think they will hold it over his head. No bowl game wins, no real huge clutch performances. I think this will hurt him. I think he is a phenominal QB, and will be good in the NFL.

I actually wouldn't mind the Lions getting this guy.

I hate the fact that Martz might leave for a HC job and that would really leave the Lions messed up....

I think if he was a Lion I might actually start collecting again (I had a massive Harrington collection from 02-04).

I really don't like Kitna, and there is no reason to keep him if Martz leaves. Plus Kevin Jones is probably going to miss the season so the Lions could also use a good RB (either Rookie or FA).

If he goes #1, who does that leave that the Lions could use??

Thanks
Mike

He could be the #1 pick , sure I think they should get there degree but he could very well get it sometime during his playing career like a couple ppl like Shaq.

Back