Baseball Lefty prospect rejects MLB offers, stays in Japan

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Highly touted teenage lefthander Yusei Kikuchi has turned down offers from several Major League Baseball teams and will continue to pitch in his native Japan next year.

"I have decided to play in Japan, not for a MLB team, and I would like do my best here," Kikuchi said in a televised interview on Sunday. "I'll try to take on the world once I have become the number one pitcher in Japan."

The 18-year-old lefty's decision to stay in Japan comes just days after telling reporters he was still undecided on his future following talks with all 12 Japanese domestic teams and eight MLB clubs, including the Seattle Mariners and the New York Yankees.

Kikuchi, whose fastball has been clocked at 96 mph, spoke to representatives from MLB and Japanese clubs over four days at his high school in northern Japan.

Japanese baseball officials have requested Kikuchi not consider any offer from MLB clubs before Japan's amateur draft on Oct. 29.

As many as 10 professional teams in Japan, except the Yomiuri Giants and Hiroshima Toyo Carp, are expected to select him as their top pick at the draft, public broadcaster NHK said.

Last year, Junichi Tazawa became the first amateur player to snub the draft and join the Boston Red Sox from Nippon Oil's corporate team.

Back