Football Jonhson's workout could change top of draft

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(March 17, 2007) -- Draft boards at the club level are subjective things. Many teams will have the same 10 names in the top 10 slots on their boards but not in the same order.

After the tremendous workout down in Atlanta this week by wide receiver Calvin Johnson, it's possible he will be the No. 1 player on 80 percent of the draft boards. That doesn't mean he will be the first player chosen, but he could be if the right team winds up in the first slot.

Of course, the Raiders could select Johnson with the first pick and then trade his rights to the team that really wants him, as the Chargers did when they selected Eli Manning and traded his rights to the Giants. Remember, the Chargers also wound up getting QB Philip Rivers and LB Shawne Merriman in that deal.

Draft boards drive decisions. As one longtime NFL scout said to me this week, "If Oakland sits in the top spot and takes JaMarcus Russell, the Lions No. 2 spot doubled in value with Calvin still on the board."

Scouts, personnel directors and coaches are all looking for reasons to worry about the top candidates. JaMarcus Russell has a great arm and he has won at the highest level, but even though he was 256 pounds at his workout one scout told me he has been as heavy as 300. He wonders what will happen when Russell gets paid.

Another scout said Adrian Peterson is a heck of a back but he has a short-shuttle time that indicates he could be more of a straight-line guy. I said look at the game tapes again before trusting times in shorts. An owner told a coaching friend he thought Peterson's upright style could lead to injuries and fumbles.

Brady Quinn has been under a microscope for two years. Even though Charlie Weis strongly states the quarterback is NFL ready and will be a star, doubts exist. How about 95 touchdown passes, 11,700 passing yards and one more touchdown pass than JaMarcus Russell and Drew Stanton combined?

But when it comes to Calvin Johnson, there hasn't been one comment from anyone about the talent, physical tools, character or professionalism. Johnson is going to change the draft order before it is all said and done.

rynesandbergfan23 said:
By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(March 17, 2007) -- Draft boards at the club level are subjective things. Many teams will have the same 10 names in the top 10 slots on their boards but not in the same order.

After the tremendous workout down in Atlanta this week by wide receiver Calvin Johnson, it's possible he will be the No. 1 player on 80 percent of the draft boards. That doesn't mean he will be the first player chosen, but he could be if the right team winds up in the first slot.

Of course, the Raiders could select Johnson with the first pick and then trade his rights to the team that really wants him, as the Chargers did when they selected Eli Manning and traded his rights to the Giants. Remember, the Chargers also wound up getting QB Philip Rivers and LB Shawne Merriman in that deal.

Draft boards drive decisions. As one longtime NFL scout said to me this week, "If Oakland sits in the top spot and takes JaMarcus Russell, the Lions No. 2 spot doubled in value with Calvin still on the board."

Scouts, personnel directors and coaches are all looking for reasons to worry about the top candidates. JaMarcus Russell has a great arm and he has won at the highest level, but even though he was 256 pounds at his workout one scout told me he has been as heavy as 300. He wonders what will happen when Russell gets paid.

Another scout said Adrian Peterson is a heck of a back but he has a short-shuttle time that indicates he could be more of a straight-line guy. I said look at the game tapes again before trusting times in shorts. An owner told a coaching friend he thought Peterson's upright style could lead to injuries and fumbles.

Brady Quinn has been under a microscope for two years. Even though Charlie Weis strongly states the quarterback is NFL ready and will be a star, doubts exist. How about 95 touchdown passes, 11,700 passing yards and one more touchdown pass than JaMarcus Russell and Drew Stanton combined?

But when it comes to Calvin Johnson, there hasn't been one comment from anyone about the talent, physical tools, character or professionalism. Johnson is going to change the draft order before it is all said and done.

i think calvin johnson is the #1 oveerall player but the raiders really need a quarterback bad and jamarcus russel is a franchise player that i dont think they can pass on.

Back