Football Johnson cut

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
Veteran wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson was released by the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

"They said they wanted to get younger," Johnson told the newspaper. "That's fine with me. I'd like to go somewhere and help someone win another Super Bowl."

The move came a month after the Panthers paid Johnson a $3 million roster bonus, and three days after they selected another former Southern California receiver in the second round of the draft.

It was thought Johnson would help groom Dwayne Jarrett of USC, taken in the second round with the 45th pick. But apparently Johnson was deemed expendable -- he and Jarrett are both 6-foot-4 possession receivers.

The Panthers signed the former No. 1 overall pick last year after he was released by Dallas Cowboys in a salary cap move so the Cowboys could sign Terrell Owens.

While Johnson spent last weekend working for ESPN as part of the network's NFL draft coverage, he told the newspaper he would like to continue his playing career.

Johnson, 34, has 814 receptions for 10,571 yards and 64 touchdowns over an 11-year career. In 2006 he caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four TDs.

When Carolina selected Jarrett, Johnson remarked he was "much like me" for his size and good hands.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Any chance he signs with the Raiders??? (no idea why they popped in my head, they just did LOL).

Thanks
Mike

no offense but they had a chance this year to get quinn and they keep travaris and get peterson travaris better prove himself becuase quinn is way better i think .

yes he is well if u looke back look at bret favre and john ellway and others like them they lokd good at draft day to any one but they suked bad then they were traded to othere teams and look what they did with the team they were leaders tarvaris can do it i know but it might not be with the viks u know

Back