Racing Joe Gibbs Talks Logano and Kenseth

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
NASCAR.com (7/1/2012):

Mid news of a contract extension for Denny Hamlin and speculation swirling around Matt Kenseth's possible arrival at Joe Gibbs Racing next year, team owner Joe Gibbs said Saturday that his top priority was re-signing Joey Logano.

Logano, 22, who is in a contract year, has five Nationwide Series victories and one Sprint Cup win to his credit this year and has begun to blossom in his pairing with first-year Cup crew chief Jason Ratcliff.

"We're working real hard right now on extending him and his relationship with us," Gibbs said Friday after the drivers' meeting for Saturday night's Quaker State 400. "We've had a great relationship, signed him when he was 15. We've got a lot invested in Joey. I think right now he's stepping up, and we want him to be with us."

Asked whether sponsor Home Depot would continue to be part of the equation, Gibbs said, "I think part of what we've got going on with us right now -- there's a lot going on. So the things I talked about ... Joey, we want to get that done. Everything else is kind of up in the air for us right now."

It's fair to say that sponsor alignments are in a state of flux at JGR. Gibbs said that signing a new deal for Hamlin was a separate issue from extending the deal with Hamlin's sponsor, FedEx.

"It doesn't have anything to do with FedEx -- it's just Denny," Gibbs said, but that doesn't preclude the possibility of FedEx returning to Hamlin's car.

Gibbs was mum on the Kenseth rumors, but he left the door open for a future announcement.

"I don't think I should spend time talking about that right now," Gibbs said. "The timing's not there for us to talk about that. We've got a lot of decisions that need to be made, and we're working through that right now."

I was surprised to see the announcement by Jack Roush that Kenseth told him he would NOT sign a new contract with Roush Racing. That means that Kenseth already had a new contract somewhere else?

Thinking if Kenseth goes to JGR, Logano will be moved to a full-time Nationwide schedule. I don't see JGR having four teams.

Back